Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New Arctic Cats ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 01:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering most of us believe that AC has and still does build a decent machine. The AC may not be in some peoples eyes the best looking, the fastest, best mud machine hill climber, true 4 wheel drive, lights, the rocker shifter…and I am sure the list goes on. But for us, it was the right choice and gets the job done and I think AC has proven its reliability and durability. I use my 500 for work around the farm, but I also use it for trail riding. I have been pleased with its performance as a trail machine. My wife and I take our cats on trips to the Colorado Mountains and reliability is a big thing when you are a days ride into the mountains.
Do you think with all the new improvements and innovations from all the manufactures recently, that AC must make some enhancements or new models? They have basically made the same model now since they started making ATV’s. The product is good but, to keep up in the market place you must have new products and models. I know when the time comes or I get the bug to replace my 2000 AC and they AC, are offering the same basic, same looking machine, well I might look elsewhere. I like AC and I want to see them succeed or stay in business so I hope they keep up with the other manufactures and listen to what the people want.
Maybe I am all-wrong; maybe AC just wants to build a good, reliable machine for the farm implement dealers to sell along with the tractors. I don’t know.
Do you think AC reads or listens to their customers on these forums?
What do you guy’s think maybe coming?
Maybe a new 500 with IRS?
Bigger engine?
New type of automatic?
????????

Old 02-13-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I think they are sitting back, being patient and will see what comes out this year and then top it. Am I right Arctic Cat?

Old 02-13-2001, 08:42 PM
Range Rover

I think as long as AC has a high sell rate on thier quads there wont be many changes on them. How long did Honda make the 300 four trax? They were in production for a long time with very few changes. When Honda replaced the Four Trax with the Rancher people were crying for the Four Trax to stay in production. For now i hope that AC doesnt make any radical changes yet. I think for now AC should concentrate on doing what they have been doing and that is making a very versital and reliable machine. Let them make a strong name for themselves then they can start to go out on limb and try some wild new design. But this is all my opinion, some might agree and some might not.

Old 02-13-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have a cousin who works in Thief River Falls at the Arctic Cat factory, and he says that the engineers there are toying around with the new 4 stroke sled engine in a 500 frame. The engine is a 660cc inline liquid cooled triple, that developes 45 Hp. The engine weighs just a few pounds more than the 500cc engine. He says it's just a toy for now, but who knows.

Old 02-13-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Duplicate, sorry.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

You know, in all honesty, I can't imagine what a larger engine, such as that 660 you're referring to, could do that my 500 can't-besides go faster. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but my 500 has more power than I'll use, and I work the hell out of my machine! It's like a miny tractor/tank/jeep all in one, and tough as hell to boot-especially in low range, 4wd. I guess the majority of the people want a machine that will "go faster", in which case the larger engine would be nice. But, what ever happened to the old style four wheeling? I'm sure the old timers know what I'm talking about-you know, super low granny gear, pto winches, just grinding away at a snails pace up the steepest of terrain, negotiating trails that even a goat wouldn't dare to travel. I may only be 24, but man, I get a bigger thrill out of that type of 'wheeling than the faster type stuff where you see 2wd's making it up, though completely on the edge of out of control. I guess I do have to admit though, it is nice to kick it up in high range 2wd for the main roads back to camp in the middle of a blizzard after midnight, trying to get back to the fire as quick as possible.

I don't know, does anybody else still prefer the good old four wheeling, slow technical stuff, or am I just a "last of a dying breed"???

As for AC's upcoming changes, I too think it would be wise for them to build a good solid base before doing something radical. Let people know that the 'Cats are every bit as good as the Honda's, Polaris's, Yamaha's, etc., and better in some circumstances. Hell, we know what we're capable of, and the price is hard to beat as well for all the features. I think maybe one thing to do though would be to make the 400 an auto. I just don't see a purpose for the 400 in the condition it is now. Granted, it is a great machine, but if you look at the 300, with IRS, diff. lock, selectable 2/4wd, supper low tranny. Then look at the 500 which is also selectable 2/4wd, with the larger engine and strait swing axle, the 400 just seems kind of plain-strait 4wd, same size frame as the 500, just smaller engine, and no super low tranny. Maybe it's just me, but I bet they'd sell a bunch more 400's if they had a few added features, like shiftable, auto trans, or even a sub tranny. A selectable diff. lock would be a good improvement for the hard core mud guys too.

Anyway, sorry to bore you guys with my seemingly endless rambling, just my thoughts.

Mike

Old 02-14-2001, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

I read someplace that we can expect an automatic version of the AC400 for 2002, big deal. As far as I'm concerned why does AC even make the 400?

With AC being 50% owned by Suzuki, they are dependent on Suzuki powerplants for their quads. Until Suzuki decides to develop some new machinery I doubt we will see anything new from AC.

Old 02-14-2001, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Cowboy.
NO,you are not the last or the only one who enjoys and prefers the slow technical stuff. I love this kind of riding.This is where the Cat really shows whats its made of.

I still think AC,in the future, will need to make some improvements or new models to keep any kind of market share.
I think some improvements to existing models would be a start. For the people who just have to have all 4 wheels spining....true 4 wheel drive.
(However for me and the type of riding I do the 3 wheel drive has always got me out)
Better lights
adjustable suspension maybe
A working,silent fuel gauge
More ground clearance
????????????

Old 02-14-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Please go to our startup page ..and click on Atv reviews .The 500 Cat was 1 of 3 quads to ever make it through their testing mudpit.
Our belt system was the best of any auto...
Engine power and performance...not measured in drag race terms but im everyday riding also did well.We do not have to "hang our heads" because of what some sport magazines say about THE CAT !!!
Remember...when we growl others cower!!

Old 02-15-2001, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,

I also like the slow technical riding alot, but if I can have the big bore motor that will get me to a higher top speed on the same bike it's even better. Don't you think??/

Quick Reply: New Arctic Cats ?