Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Newby with Differential question with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby with Differential question with pics

1st post guys so go easy on me but Ive got a question....

Ive got a 04 400 4x4 auto and I was changing my front diff lube and when I drained it it came out milky.When I refilled it and took a test run I noticed a small leak at the point where the diff. and front axel meet,so I guessing the seal is bad,the "cap" slides back and forth by hand which Im guessing isnt right either... Im gonna try to post a pick of where it slides/and is leaking .

Any help help and or advice appreciated and where can I find a shop manual or illustration that may explain how to repair this problem?

This is on the "Passenger side front differential.

For perspective-Screwdriver pointing to the area.
Name:  IMG_2004.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  127.2 KB

Where the "cup" is sliding back and forth (this is out as in slid toward the tire)Pic. taken looking up at area.
Name:  IMG_2009.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  84.4 KB

With "cup" in as in up against differential
Name:  IMG_2010.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  69.4 KB

Sorry for my lack of technical terminology if I havent explained something please ask me. and thanks in advance for the help

Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

I changed the diff fluid on my 2003 yamaha kodiak 450 every year
And every year it came out MILKY
All my seals etc were good
I changed it one day, went for a 50km run on it, came back and stick a dip stick in it andit was milky again...
Once you get mositure it there, chances are it will always bit abit MILKY, even if you replace seals etc...
As long as you change it often with a quality lube and always let the old stuff drain out after running it a while you should be good to go...
But yes, always make sure yours seals are good!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm more worried about it leaking and the sliding of the cup/boot/ whatever it's called! In all fairness what leaked out after my test ride appeared to be the old milky stuff not the new Amsoil I filled it with.

Am I correct thinking a seal may be missing or damaged in the place shown in the picture?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Its a BAD seal for sure. My 08 A/C 650 H1 was doing the same thing 2 weeks ago. I took it to the shop{its still under warranty}and the mechanic said it's the seal. he replaced it and I have not seen any leaks. Mine was leaking in the exact place as yours.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by dgracing318
Its a BAD seal for sure. My 08 A/C 650 H1 was doing the same thing 2 weeks ago. I took it to the shop{its still under warranty}and the mechanic said it's the seal. he replaced it and I have not seen any leaks. Mine was leaking in the exact place as yours.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!! The thing I cant figure out is why the cap or cup or whatever its called is slipping back and forth

If you look at the second picture where the screwdriver tip is theres probably 1/8 in of play or so did yours have the play as well?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just walked out to my shop and checked just to make sure and NO the dust cap is not loose at all. Has the cv boot ever been replaced? On the end of the axel is a"C" washer{ i think thats what it's called} maybe it has come off or was never put on if the cv boot has been replaced. I hope this helps

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

That dust cap is removable. I believe I read where some guys take it off to keep mud from building up under it and wearing out the diff seal.

It is also very easy to pull the axle and check on that cir-clip (or C-clip) on the end of the axle inside the differential.

Also, if the castle nut is loose OR the bearings on that axle are bad it could be allowing slop at the differential.

SJ