Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New ATV owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m74me
Welcome to ATVing in Utah. I live in northern Utah, ride an '07 TRV 650 H1 (my wife has a new '10 550 TRVs with power steering) and have over 4,000 miles on my TRV (I'm 63 and ride as much as I can, enjoy challenging trails but I don't abuse it). In my opinion you couldn't have picked a better machine. I put ITP 14" alloy wheels and 26" ITP Terracross tires on my machine when it was new. But I ended up having to change the wheels to AC wheels because the offset of the ITP rear wheels was too much and the rear tires ended up at nearly 54" wide which is too much to be legal on any 50" designated trails (there are quite a few here in Utah). The Terracross tires have performed well. Many of my friends have Bighorn tires and really like them. They seem to be comparable. But we will be putting Bighorns on my wife's new machine because the Bighorns are a bit less expensive (Rocky Mountain ATV/MC in Payson, Ut.). Changing from the stock tires can be one of the best performance improvements you will make. I have had problems with steel rims getting bent by rocks and becoming difficult to keep a seal on tires with 5 psi. In about 8,000 miles of riding I have never needed a spare tire. Tire plugs and a 12v compressor have always met my needs. You may not have targeted getting a rock crawler but you got one anyway. The longer wheelbase makes them much more stable going up or down hills and crawling over rocks.

Also, your engine has a wet clutch so when you change the oil be sure to get an oil that is designated for wet clutch applications. I have been using Mobile 1 synthetic for motorcycles with wet clutches. But I think any good synthetic will work fine. I have targeted changing the oil at 500+/- mile intervals.

I prefer hard boxes rather than soft because they are more durable, don't have sticky zippers and seem to keep the dust out better. We have Montana Jacks boxes on the rear of both of our TRV's (they will fit around the rear seat back) and I also have an AC box on the front of mine.

I have seen no difference in performance using premium fuel v.s. 87 octane.

The other suggestions are all good on what to pack. You will probably add more of your own as you get out and enjoy your new toy. Maybe I'll see you on the Utah trails.
Keep a tow strap. Can be used for a tree saver strap, winch cable extender, tow rope, etc...
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll post pictures once I get her all decked out.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Rims are rims, most people change them for a different look or lose weight if there steel rim and not Alloy. I think yours would be Alloy rims.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

Couple of thoughts... I just got a TRV myself, after owning a Cat 500 for 8 years. That 500 was nearly indestructable, and it's seen 1500 miles of rough trails on my hilly and rocky farm. Very tough machine, very reliable. This 400 TRV isn't exactly a speed demon, but it will crawl over rough terrain like nothing else, and climbs hills, well, like a cat.

You do know you can replace the rear seat with a rack? Cat makes a rack that snaps in place. The rear seat pops off if you pull on the two spring loaded pins on the back. If you don't have a second rider, it's a nice thing to have, the rack comes with a backrest for the driver. There are a variety of baskets that can be attached to both front and rear racks.

Larger tires will hurt performance. They're mostly for hardcore mud riding (which really wears a quad out, mud is like sandpaper to moving parts). The cat has the best ground clearance already, so you don't really need to improve that. Fancy wheels look pretty, but get scratched up on rocks.

Also, be cautious. These machines can roll over, and they weigh over 700 pounds. That could ruin your whole day. In all fairness, you have to do something pretty dumb to get them to roll, but it can happen. Steep hillclimbs are tricky - once you start up, you're committed. No sudden changes of power, and don't stop halfway up, or it may flip when you try to get moving. And don't try to turn around on steep inclines. Tough technical trails take some experience on the part of the rider, use discretion and get to know the machine before you tackle the tough stuff. On rough ground, it will give you warning before it rolls, but you must pay attention. Better still, find an experienced rider and tag along with them for a few rides.

Living way out in the boonies in KY, one thing I taught my family about traveling in bad weather, especially snow, is to take what they would if they were going to be stuck for a couple of days without communications, because that could happen. Battery goes flat, it's not going to start. Cell phone service can be spotty. Let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back, so if it breaks down or you have an accident and are injured, someone knows to come looking for you.

A buddy's dad in law bought a new Grizzly several years ago, never had owned a quad at all. Pointed it at a steep hill on his farm, got halfway up, decided to turn around, and it rolled over and broke his leg. He had to crawl a mile before a neighbor found him, the next morning. He was lucky.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JohnO
Couple of thoughts... I just got a TRV myself, after owning a Cat 500 for 8 years. That 500 was nearly indestructable, and it's seen 1500 miles of rough trails on my hilly and rocky farm. Very tough machine, very reliable. This 400 TRV isn't exactly a speed demon, but it will crawl over rough terrain like nothing else, and climbs hills, well, like a cat.

You do know you can replace the rear seat with a rack? Cat makes a rack that snaps in place. The rear seat pops off if you pull on the two spring loaded pins on the back. If you don't have a second rider, it's a nice thing to have, the rack comes with a backrest for the driver. There are a variety of baskets that can be attached to both front and rear racks.

Larger tires will hurt performance. They're mostly for hardcore mud riding (which really wears a quad out, mud is like sandpaper to moving parts). The cat has the best ground clearance already, so you don't really need to improve that. Fancy wheels look pretty, but get scratched up on rocks.

Also, be cautious. These machines can roll over, and they weigh over 700 pounds. That could ruin your whole day. In all fairness, you have to do something pretty dumb to get them to roll, but it can happen. Steep hillclimbs are tricky - once you start up, you're committed. No sudden changes of power, and don't stop halfway up, or it may flip when you try to get moving. And don't try to turn around on steep inclines. Tough technical trails take some experience on the part of the rider, use discretion and get to know the machine before you tackle the tough stuff. On rough ground, it will give you warning before it rolls, but you must pay attention. Better still, find an experienced rider and tag along with them for a few rides.

Living way out in the boonies in KY, one thing I taught my family about traveling in bad weather, especially snow, is to take what they would if they were going to be stuck for a couple of days without communications, because that could happen. Battery goes flat, it's not going to start. Cell phone service can be spotty. Let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back, so if it breaks down or you have an accident and are injured, someone knows to come looking for you.

A buddy's dad in law bought a new Grizzly several years ago, never had owned a quad at all. Pointed it at a steep hill on his farm, got halfway up, decided to turn around, and it rolled over and broke his leg. He had to crawl a mile before a neighbor found him, the next morning. He was lucky.

I've found the backrest,
Arctic Cat Bumpers and Backrest

And the rack with the backrest:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arcti...-/370392660051

Thanks for the ideas.

I replaced the worn stock tires with Maxxis Bighorn 26X9-12 front and back which shouldn't be much heavier.