Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Water in front differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in front differential

Hi folks, hope someone here has an idea because the dealer by me is useless. I have a 2006 AC 500 auto purchased new that keeps getting water in the front differential. Low miles, I use this machine for yard work and a little play in the back woods/wetlands on occasion. I know water is getting in there because I brought it to the dealer for a diff. lock failure under the Cat Care warranty program in 2007. One it warmed up in his shop it started to work again. He drained out oil and water. Obviously when frozen the lock-up pin failed to engage. After a long fight with Cat Care and the dealer he replaced all the seals, axle,differential, and checked any other place that water could possibly get in. (vent tube, etc.) Out back is a couple of small creeks I have to cross. Not very deep but muddy and sometimes the water will come up to the floorboards. I don't use the lockup feature very often but its very cold again and when I had to rescue my other ATV from getting stuck the lock again failed to engage. At this time I am warming the AC up in the garage and plan on changing the diff. lube for now. Last time I checked ATV's were supposed to be able to cross creeks without any issues.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Trailblazer

check the vent hose that comes off the diff and goes to a breather.Take hose and breather off front diff you probley have a crack in it i have seen this before.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks 07 400, That was all suposed to have been checked by the dealer but I will do it myself. I have just drained and replaced the diff. lube. I have to admit, there was very little milky look to the gear oil. Does anyone know if the Diff. lock is a true lockup or is it still possible for one front wheel to drive at a different speed than the other when lock is engaged?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Per the pic I saw on the online parts house, it is a true locker. On a side note, are you using a pressure washer to clean this thing. You can force water pass a seal with a pressure washer.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

Yes its a true locker...im more then sure its just your cable that needs adjusted. Up by the handle bar lever down under the pod there is a cable tightener its probably just stretched a bit.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer

yes agree above it is a true lock. you can hardly turn handle bars when it is lock in. on dry ground.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ATV2GO
Thanks 07 400, That was all suposed to have been checked by the dealer but I will do it myself. I have just drained and replaced the diff. lube. I have to admit, there was very little milky look to the gear oil. Does anyone know if the Diff. lock is a true lockup or is it still possible for one front wheel to drive at a different speed than the other when lock is engaged?
I would check the vent tube and if it continues it would be new seals done by myself. I had my polaris in for it's 10 hr checkup after break in that the dealer was suppose to include for free when I bought it. When I got it home before my next ride for some odd reason I felt the need to check the rearend. I was suprised when I pulled the plug and it was empty!!! The dealer dumped the oil but never refilled. Saved myself some money there! Needless to say the ATV has NEVER been back to the dealer since I do all the work myself. Moral of the story is unless your a VERY perferred customer at the dealer NEVER trust em'!