Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Front Diff's-They Must be Different

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a great ride down in Oregon with GrizzRick and a few of his buddies. Must say I had a great time and definately look forward to going back. Thanks Rick for everything, it was great! Also thanks to Wayne and Tim as well, next time you talk to them-great guys and definately a great time.

Now, with all the talk of the front differentials lately, I figured I'd let you know how this ride went. The trails were VERY tight in places, lots of trees, and nerve racking fender rubs to barely squeeze between them, in parts. One of which required actually driving up a tree with the right front tire, then turning off of it, allowing the machine to "fall" down diagnal in between the second tree, allowing you to pass between them. There were lots of relatively steep inclines, tons of off-camber stuff, sidehills, and with all the rain-tons of mud! Oh, and on one particular trail that Rick and Wayne built, you had to drive down into a creek bed, filled with large rocks and small boulders, heading downstream a short distance, then immediately sharp right around a huge rim grinding boulder, sliding along a sidehill just below a huge stump-all while trying not to tip over sideways into the water-due to the steep off-camber. Once around the rock, there was a fairly steep muddy slope that once you hit the top, you had to turn immediately sharp left to avoid falling into a deep washed out pit.

Although a few miles into the ride, it was here that we first got a good look at how the front diff. on the 'Cat worked. The Polaris with the "true 4-wheel drive" went first, followed by Rick on his Grizz, then me coming up last. I turned a little too sharp, in towards the tree, trying to avoid the big hole on my right, which caused my right front tire to lift off the ground. Being rather muddy on this relatively steep grade, with one tire in the air, naturally, my free tire in the air was spinning. Rick and Wayne probably thought I'd need a hand at this point, when I blipped the throttle a bit, giving it just a little more gas. At that point, that's when it happened-that "limited slip" front diff. on the big 500 kicked in. The tire on the ground grabbed all of a sudden, spinning both front tires, easily pulling me up and over the cresting point, and safely down the other side. Being on the downside of the hill, Rick and Wayne were both impressed at how the front end suddenly engaged, pulling me over.

This was not the only time it happened. On several more occassions throughout the day, I encountered much of the same situations, with one tire up in the air spinning. By giving it just a little more gas, the stuck tire would break free, pulling me up, out or around the problem area's. I did encounter one problem while turning too sharp into a deep rutted uphill grade, pulling the right front way up in the air, standing off the left rear tire. In this situation, the front in the air was spinning, yet giving more gas still caused the stuck left to surge a bit. The problem here was that because the right front was so high up in the air with the steep terrain, and hard right turn, more gas was lifting the front end entirely off the ground, trying to turn the 'Cat upside down. In this circumstance, I had to back down out of the deep rut, then attack the hill from a slightly different angle. The second time, we went up like a breeze, as if nothing happened.

I must say, actually paying close attention to how the front diff. operated, it was great to see that the limited slip front diff on the '00 Auto 500 does indeed work as claimed, which leads me to believe there IS a difference between front ends on the 500 'Cats for the newer years. It worked flawlessly every time, always pulling me up, over or around various obsticles along the way. And, it didn't just kind of slip into place. When the stuck tire engaged, it definately engaged with authority.

Anyway, despite what may or may not be said about limited slip front differentials, I'd say this thing is the next best thing to "true 4-wheel drive" This all happened on a trail ride, in a "real world" testing, not jacked up on stands in a sort of "simulation". I don't care what the machine does in the garage, if it gets me through the steep and deep out on the trail, by god that's good enough for me.

Anyway, with all the questions lately about how it works, just thought you might be interested to hear that it indeed does, and very well at that. Best of luck to everybody out there and Good Riding!

And, Thanks Again GrizzRick, it was great to finally meet you and do some riding along the way. Definately had a great time, and look forward to doing it again!

Mike

Old 03-18-2001, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,
You are absolutely right about how that Cats front end worked! I was very impressed. Everything you have said was true, and when you did get one wheel to slip and gave it alittle more gas, the other tire "locked" in and pulled you through every time. If my Grizzly's front differential was as effective as the one on your Cat, I wouldn't be putting a locker in it. In a straight mud bogging situation where you would be putting power to the ground in abundance, you've got "true" 4WD. Some may not believe that, but I've seen it, so I know its true. The really great thing is, we both kicked the Polaris's butt, both in the mud, and climbing hills. Not to mention the mud holes we went through and made it, that he wouldn't even try! I think Chris uses the "too many grease fittings" excuse because we kept killing him in the mud! At any rate, I'm really glad you had a good time, I enjoyed the hell out of it too. It was great to finally meet you, and to see how that Acrtic Cat performed. Again, I have to say I was impressed! We are definately going to have to do it again! We didn't even begin to ride all the trails up there.

Rick
PS. I just realized I'm logged in on my old username. I was curious last night, and wanted to see if it still worked, it does.
(GrizRick)

Old 03-18-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Wow! that sounds like a good ride you guys had. Don't you just love that 4-wheel drive when you need it. Are AC's full time or part-time 4-wd? Wish i could have been there also.

Old 03-18-2001, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Cowboy, for the "real world" evaluation on that front diff. Sounds like a fun ride.Your description of the trail sounds like some of the places we go hunting up here.

I'm assuming the newer 500's have the same diff on the Auto and Manual machines. Can anyone confirm that for me?

Old 03-18-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Both of the 2001 500's have the same diff as Cowboy's 2000 auto. The 2001 400 has the same diff as the 454 and 500 manual shift up to 2000.

The 250 and 300 4x4 have the same diff, all years.

Old 03-18-2001, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like a great ride. Any chance you guys took some pictures so us less-fortunate souls can remember what it's like to get out and ride?

Old 03-19-2001, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't bring a camera, I had a buddy that was supposed to come along that day with a video camera, but he never made it. Cowboy brought a camera, but we were all having such a good time riding that no one thought to take a picture untill we were done. Not only that, the trails are quite tight and very "technical". So I think we were more concerned with not flipping, or rolling our quads. Not to mention trying to avoid all the obsticles we had to go through, over or around without doing damage or getting hurt.

Rick

Old 03-19-2001, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Cowboy,

Thanks for the great description of the actual workings of the AC front diff. Like you said, this topic has been beaten to death and it's nice to have final answer on the subject. Sounds like you had a great ride!

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2001, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

CanadianViking:
Hey, no problem, just thought a few of guys here might be interested in hearing some "real world" info, rather than garage talk. Granted, the jack stand method is probably the best "simulation" to test, but nothing beats the "real world" useage. Though, I highly doubt this will be the "final answer" on the topic, but yes Regis, it is my final answer. heh heh heh. So hey, did you ever end up getting your 'Cats yet? I think last time I heard you were waiting a month or two, did it pan out yet? If so, congrats, how do you like them? If not, Best of Luck when you do get them, I'm sure you'll love 'em!

Grizz:
Hey man, thanks for the backup! I'm sure glad I had an actual eye witness along on the ride. Sure helps in some circumstances. And, I must add, yeah man, you were right, we did do a number on that Polaris in the mud. I was kind of wondering why he tried avoiding all the deeper pits. Heh heh heh. Seriously though, tell Chris thanks for showing me around as well, I had a great time with you guys. Anxious to come back now and see how the big Grizzly does in the mud and hills now with the locker in it.

Take care,

Mike

Old 03-21-2001, 01:54 AM
Range Rover

hey COWBOY...I was wondering if u could make me some of those spring spacers for a 01 AC 500...i will pay for them....will i be able to put shockwears over the shocks if i get them?

Thanks,
William

Quick Reply: Front Diff's-They Must be Different