Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 450 EFI vs Big Bear 400 vs Prairie 360

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC 450 EFI vs Big Bear 400 vs Prairie 360

Hey fellow atvers,
In the next few weeks I will be purchasing a new atv and I'm stuck between the three atvs listed above. I don't want to have a slow atv but I would like to have one with a semi auto(Big Bear) but if it's a snail of an atv I might have to settle for an auto. So what are your opinions about the three atvs listed above(or any others). I want to have an atv to learn on before I go buy a Outlander 1000XT. My riding style is pretty hard on an atv so it needs to hold up pretty well.

EDIT: What about the Fourtrax Foreman 4x4? Can you add a diff- locker?

As you can see I have no idea as to what atv I want but, the only thing that is pulling me to the honda is the larger CC engine and the semi auto (not esp) and those 2 are the highest on my list.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

howdy. first off dont pay attention to cc,it doesnt mean its the most powerful or fastest. The cats gonna give you the EFI and is usually more of a utility mach rather than a sporty atv. Made to work in other words. They arent the fastest but have held up well for me. Ive never had the 450 but i had a 300,500,and now 700. they have all been pretty flawless as far as problems. just minor issues. The big bear is as you said. slow and i havent seen them in a while but were kinda out dated. They run forever and work hard also. If you were going into the yamaha family id look more into the grizzly 450 or 700 but of course its automatic like the cat and prairie. I think the cat and prairie are the only 2 with diff lock,im not sure the big bear does. the prarie is...well i dont know much about them. I hate the locker they have thats all i know. The automatics these days are mostly reliable. As long as the belt is taken care of like use low when low is needed it will last Thousands of miles. ive heard of some on stock belts to at least 6-7,000 miles some even more, but must be taken care of. if your stuck in mud,get pulled out or winch out dont smoke the belt. common sense. most atvs that are auto have an engine breaking also,this will only allow the atv to creep down a steep hill with out using the brakes,or light touching of the brakes.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

I think most manufacturers make great machines these days. I will admit that I am not fond of a couple brands, but basically they all have good and bad points. Go look at them in person and ride any that you can and make your purchase based on what you like the best. I will say that if I were looking for a new one, the Honda Foreman 500, Suzuki King Quad 500 and Yamaha grizzly 550 would all be at the top of my list to check out.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Honda 500 would not be on top of my list if speed is your thing. Honda uses OHV motors in all there Utility ATVs not OHC motors like the rest so there hp to displacement ratio is the lowest of all ATVs.

For example is a 500 Foreman pushes 28hp while a 500 Sportsman has 35 hp even there 680 Rincon has only 39 hp thats what the new 550 have. Also Honda is the only 4x4 that has no AWD system of any type so its really a 4x3. Only Hondas rubicon has a low range also.

Honda is pretty dated in the Utility side of ATVs.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

He didnt say he had to have a fast ATV, only that he didnt want something slow. The Foreman 500 is not slow, even though it may not be the fastest in the class. HP is not everything. You have to factor in weight. The honda with a full tank of gas and all fluids weighs 626 pounds. The polaris 500 h.o. has a dry weight of 696 pounds. Add all the fluids and it is 100 pounds heavier than the honda. The 5 speed semi automatic is also more efficient than a belt drive auto and will lose less power through the driveline. They also dont need a low range because there is no belt to smoke, and they have a low 1st gear.

The only disadvantage honda has, IMO, is no front locker. That is the only thing i really dislike about their atv's. Not having independent rear could also be a disadvantage, but if you are working with it, that the only way to go IMO. They could be considered dated in some ways, but If you are after a solid performing reliable ATV, the honda will be extremely hard to beat.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:22 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
He didnt say he had to have a fast ATV, only that he didnt want something slow. The Foreman 500 is not slow, even though it may not be the fastest in the class. HP is not everything. You have to factor in weight. The honda with a full tank of gas and all fluids weighs 626 pounds. The polaris 500 h.o. has a dry weight of 696 pounds. Add all the fluids and it is 100 pounds heavier than the honda. The 5 speed semi automatic is also more efficient than a belt drive auto and will lose less power through the driveline. They also dont need a low range because there is no belt to smoke, and they have a low 1st gear.

The only disadvantage honda has, IMO, is no front locker. That is the only thing i really dislike about their atv's. Not having independent rear could also be a disadvantage, but if you are working with it, that the only way to go IMO. They could be considered dated in some ways, but If you are after a solid performing reliable ATV, the honda will be extremely hard to beat.
Yes a 500 foreman is 100lbs lighter, but I ride with two 500 foremans all the time and a heavier 500 H.O will still dust them in acceleration and top end . So I still don't get your point?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Power to weight ratio was my point. Its not a hard concept.

The polaris does have a slightly better power to weight ratio than the honda, but its not going to be enough that getting off one and on the other is going to blow your mind.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

It seemed to me that the important thing is that he wanted a starter bike. I'd get a bike that would closely handle like the big bore he ultimately wants. I'd get one with independent rear suspension, the same frame width (500+ class) to learn on, that way the transition will be much easier. Straight rear axle is a different creature entirely.

Plus, it should be reliable and one that he won't lose a bunch of money on by purchasing then selling in a year or so to get the big bike of his dreams. The most common bike bought and sold is the 500 Sportsman. But one for $4500, drive it for a year sell it for $4000.