Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

300 or 400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which would you buy? Is the 400 alot more powerfull?

Old 05-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

What do you plan to do with it? More trail riding, hill climbs, mud runs, or mainly work? I hate to say it, but they're almost comparing two different animals. The 300 may be a smaller machine, but for trail rides, it has the IRS to make it extremely smooth riding, and probably the greatest feature is the ability to truly lock the front axle-to get 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd lock.

If you plan on carrying a lot of weight, the 400 would handle it better with the strait axle rear end (same swing axle design as the big brother 500-still very smooth), yet the 400 is actually a 371cc machine I believe. If the power is what you want, I'd probably look more towards deciding between the 300 and the 500 (a 493cc machine) Gobs of torque on the 500, with selectable 2/4wd. The 400 is purely 4wd only-unless they come out with something new for '02, but that's all hearsay at this point.

If price is the issue, I'm not sure what the difference is between the 300 and 400, but if you were interested at all in a 500, you could get the '00 auto on closeout anywhere for probably at or less than the '01-'02 300-400 machines. I'm just guessing with that, but I know most of the dealers are wanting to close out the remaining '00 models to make room for the '01-'02's. I guess if it were me, and I was doing mostly trail type stuff, with occassional light duty work, I'd take the 300. However, if I was doing more heavy work (like I do anyway) there's no exception to the 500 'Cat.

Best of luck in the search,

Mike

Old 05-07-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to aggree with Cowboy, he pretty much said it all right there.

What do you plan on useing it for???

Old 05-07-2001, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

ditto, on counts.
i find the price difference too close between the 400 and 500 not to buy the 500. if money is an issue, by all means i would get the 300 for "all around" use. actually i'd rather have the 300 over the 400.
like cowboy said, if it's for mostly work there is no real comparison. i just couldn't do the things i do with the 300.
when it's time for a second machine, the 300 will be parked next to my auto, unless the '02s offer something different. we'll know in about another month.........

Old 05-08-2001, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

For work, don't sell the 300 short. I have had 700 pounds on the back and the suspension does not squat as much as a Sportsman. With the low gearing and true 4 wheel drive, you can pull almost anything (if you can get traction).

Old 05-08-2001, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

My reasoning may not be anybody elses - but here it is anyways! When I purchased my '01 400 4x4 - price was $1,000 less than 500 4x4 auto, just around $800 less than manual. Believe it or not, around $200 less than 300 4x4. 300 has some goodies but with my size and riding habbits I chose the bigger engine. Couldn't see spending the extra grand to go with the 500. Maybe next time? Although the best pricing you get, all depends on what the dealer has sitting on the floor or in the warehouse.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:55 PM
JKB
Pro Rider

Colden, same reason for me. Mine was $400 more than the 300cc but $1000 less than the 500. So far after 1400 miles I feel I made the right choice. There are times when I wish for more, but on those days I don't think the 500 would satisfy the speed urge. The gearing in the 500 is the same, so the top speed would be very similar. As far as power goes I know the 500 would have more grunt, but even with my new Titan 589's I have not once actually needed more power. I did notice a big differance in the power after adjusting the carb. From the factory AC set it at to 2-1/8 turns which is the richest setting recommended. I turned mine down to 1-7/8 turns and the differance is wild. The old setting had me downshifting from 5th to 4th on hills when running with Honda 450's. Now as long as the bike is going 30 MPH or more she will climb any hills around here in 5th and not lose any speed, in fact on most grades it will actually accellerate even at the low RPM. It sure saved a lot of shifting. Anyway in a word I am really pleased with the bike and the power.
Cheers Jim

Old 05-10-2001, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Jim:
Hey, forgive me here, I'm an idiot when it comes to carbs-literally! I forget what year your 400 is, but I think we have the same carb-would you recommend adjusting the screw you are referring too, on my '500? I remember Minehunter was saying something about dropping one jet size or something to relieve a backfire at full throttle, then letting off immediately-can't remember for sure, but I think that was the reason. Anyway, I've been too shy to try and attempt a jet change myself, this screw adjustment sounds much easier. I would imagine the machines come from the factory pretty much the same in every aspect when it comes to carb's, so would it be safe to assume the 2 1/8 turns would be close on mine? I'm just curious, as if simply adjusting it from the 2 1/8 turns to the 1 7/8 made that much of a difference for you on your 400, I would think it would at least do something to my auto 'Cat. Also, did you notice any fuel mileage increase with running a leaner fuel ratio? You don't have any other performance mods do you? And, finally, I can't remember what size 589's you're running, but did you adjust the screw before or after the tire swap, and if after, did you notice a difference in get-up and go?

Sorry to bother you, and thanks for the help!

Mike

Old 05-10-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy, Cowboy, Cowboy. That jet change was so easy, I think that if you know the correct end of a screwdriver to hold onto while using it, you could do the jet change. Just take off the seat, remove the 2 screws at the back of the gas tank, slide the tank back and lift it off. Make sure the gas is turned off first. Take a pair of pliers and loosen the gas line clamp. Loosen the screws that hold the airbox on and slide it fully rearward. That leaves just the screw on the carb clamp left. Loosen it, and pull the carb off. Turn it over and remove the 4 screws that hold the bowl on and the jet is stareing right at you, unscrew it and install everything in reverse order. Make sure that the float pin doesn't fall out. Any 5 year old can do this with 8 years of practice. Seriouly, This job isn't for the unitiated. It isn't hard, but if you've never done carb work it is intimidating. There is a lot that can go wrong and generally does the first time or two. I used to practice on my old dirtbikes. That was back when a 40 mm carb cost $39.00.

Old 05-10-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,

I believe the 2000 Automatics and all 2001 model cats have keihin carbs, unlike the Mikuni that I and the other older model cat owners have. So I don't think telling you were the mixture screw is would help.

I can tell you that he bought some 25x10x12 589s.