Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Power Loss - New tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 06:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike- I bet it was about 2 months. I know you were pretty up on those Mud Bugs because they were said to be really lightweight. I wasn't hounding you at the time to get what I had or anything, but I didn't want you to steer clear of Claws because they might suck the power out of that AC auto. Seems as if everything turned out pretty good out that anyway. When I had mine in the shop, there was a kid that worked there who had 27" Bugs on his. He looked at mine, and said "Damn! What are those?" The Claws are definitely a nastier looking tire. Bugs are a better all around, and the 6 ply and light weight are a good selling point. I think a few folks have been swayed by that 6 ply construction bit, but I couldn't say that I've ever seen a problem with mine being a 4ply. Hell, I think XT Blackwaters are supposed to be a 6 ply, and I've heard a few folks complain about them.

As for the tire guy, these bigger tires are pretty much the same as quads. They are all pretty good. It just depends on which one you like the best, and for different reasons. I liked that nasty look of the Claws over the smaller lugs of some tires, and the rougher ride of Vampires. I won't go around saying mine are better than the others, I just liked them better.

Old 07-11-2001, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

<<
YankeeCat-
Are you still looking at trading the 'Cat for the new 660 Grizzly??? I was just curious-your last statment about the &quot;I notice that sometimes in deep mud I pin the throttle. If I did that with the stock tires on, the bike would go way too fast.&quot; Man, if the 'Cat goes too fast, I'm betting that Grizz will REALLY be too fast! I know you were concerned about the auto belt getting wet, but what else about the machine has you itching to trade? My guess is the front diff. lock???? Anyway, if you do get it, I'm interested to hear your opinions, what you think about it. I'm assuming Andy hasn't received his yet??? Should be soon though???

Best of luck guys,

Mike
>>

The reasons I want a Grizz so bad are:
1. Ground Clearance - can't beat IRS
2. IRS - Better for types of rock crawling and rut/mud riding I do when 4x4'ing
3. More power
4. (Most Impt) you guessed it - Locking Diff

I also like the park setting - all 4-wheelers should have that. When I first looked into 4x4 atv's, the one thing I wanted and didn't get was a locking front diff. Polaris had it, but only after 20% spin of the rear tires (Still can't figure that set up out)

The sole reason why I'm NOT getting a Grizzly:
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Auto belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I've been through hell with my AC b/c I didn't have the foresight to buy a manual shift. Now I'm paying for it big time. I got muddy water in the drive system and burnt the bearing out. As for the 2002 AC line-up, some of you might say hey, why don't you get the new IRS manual shift? I wouldn't even think twice about it. I'd buy it in a second if it had a locking front diff, but AC dropped the ball on that one as far as I'm concerned.

Now I'm stuck. Don't want the auto AC anymore, don't want the Grizz. Now what am I thinking about? A Wolverine (this is where you guys start laughing at me) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I'm an MX racer at heart. 4x4 ing is fun...no wait, WAY FUN [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], but none of the new models fit what I want in a serious 4x4. So I'm going to have fun on a sportier 4x4 that won't follow the big boys through deep stuff, but will be more fun to drive on faster trail riding and will have the ability to get some air. Maybe in a couple of years I'll trade it for a larger 4x4 when they figure out that auto belts suck. If the Grizz had the cool tranny of the Rubi or at least a manual shift option I would have bought one. I'm still not sure I won't get one, but can't feel secure in spending 7299 (I'd have to have the silver one) on a machine that I'm afraid to go into mud with for fear of hurting the poor thing. Anyway, I digress. Have fun guys. If you see me out in a big mud hole and I'm stuck with my Wolverine without a winch b/c it doesn't have a &amp;$%#@ winch deal with a purchase, then lend me a hand OK?

Old 07-12-2001, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

Yankee-
After your belt troubles, I wondered if that wouldn't be the deciding factor against the Grizz. I had heard a nasty rumor that the new '02 500's have a new front diff. It is supposed to be actual &quot;AC&quot; instead of Suzuki, and rumored to be similar to the 300, with that &quot;extra lock&quot; position one more click forward. I asked my dealer about it, he said yes, the diff. was different, but no, he didn't know whether or not the rumor was true or not. Does anybody have that kind of information? If indeed you can lock the front of the 500's, I think AC will make a huge gain in the market share this year-afterall, they have built upon their already impressive line, now with superior IRS, with the most ground clearance and suspension travel-what more could you want??? (besides speed of course!) If anybody knows for sure, hopefully they'll let us know, that would definately be truly an awesome machine. If not, well shoot, hopefully next year...

Anyway, Best of Luck with whatever you end up with. Hope you'll drop in every now and then, say hello or something. And yes, if I was ever out your way and found you stuck in a good mud hole, I'd be more than happy to tow you out! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 07-12-2001, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer

Mike
I have also heard the rumor about the new front diff. My question, do the 500 and 500i have the same front diff? The 500i has 10 inches of travel the 500 has 8.5, can it be the same diff or a different design?