Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 400 or 2002 Arctic Cat 400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better, the 02 Sportsman 400 from Polaris, or the Arctic Cat 400. both are 4x4. which has more power? which one would yall prefer? thanks!
Pierce

Old 10-01-2001, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Pierce-
As the new 400i isn't even out yet, I think it's definately hard to say which will be the better machine. My guess is the SP400 will be the faster of the two, as the AC400 is actually a 371cc machine. AC has made many improvements for '02, and I'm not sure about the SP400-if it's gone through the same basic changes as the '02 SP500, my guess is it's basically the same machine, with different color plastic and a few minor cosmetic changes-like color of wheels and tire difference. AC on the other hand has made a number of advancements, in both the standard ACT suspension, and the IRS. Ground clearance on the ACT has been raised to a claimed 10.75" with the IRS version clear up at 12", with 10" of wheel travel-that will be tough to beat, as I believe this is even better than the SP's clearance and travel ratings. Also, electrical connections have been upgraded to a more water friendly (resistant/proof) type on the AC as well. To my knowledge, the seat latch has been the only really negative complaint, as the location has been moved to the rear of the seat, and is apparhently hard to operate at times. Back to the speed thing-AC has also regeared the machine to 3.1 ratio for a higher top end, so then again, it's hard to say which will be the fastest.

Basically, at this point, I hate to say this but that's a really tough call-kind of a loaded question as the 400i isn't even out yet, so unfortunately your guess is as good as mine. As for which one I would prefer-well, kind of biased here, but I would go with the AC 400i if deciding between these two machines. Reason? Even though the AC is a totally new design, maintenance and reliability are of utmost importance to me. My '00 Auto 'Cat was a "totally new design" back when I bought it, and has been excellent in both regards. I think TexasCat made the comparison once that the 'Cat is like a Timex watch-takes a lickin and keeps on tickin, this couldn't be more true. I've abused the hell out of my 'Cat hauling logs and towing huge heavy loads, and always am under heavy weight conditions with the gear I carry. Then, when you factor in the excellent service and great relationship I currently have with my dealer, the new 400i is the hands down favorite in my book. Even if it did have a few problems with it's trial run on the IRS setup, I know full well my dealer would back me 100%. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the Polaris dealers around here-they're all out to make a buck as fast and easy as possible, so buying a machine from them is basically "at your own risk"-this I know from the experience of a few friends in town who've had very poor service to say the least.

Maintenance alone for me is another deciding factor-I don't have a lot of time to go around greasing everything all the time after every mud ride, or water crossing. I really like the fact that the only thing I have to do to my 'Cat is add gas and check the air filter for every ride, then change the oil at 500 miles (synthetic blend). That is it-nothing more. Very user friendly, very low maintenance and that suits me just fine.

So, sorry I can't help you out in more detail here, I think it's just too soon to say "which will be best". I doubt there will be much difference, other than maintenance and reliability, and if speed were an issue, my guess is that the SP400 would be faster. I've heard rumors that the AC IRS is superior to the SP's for ride smoothness, but that is only from a few dealers in the area who went to the shows and rode through the various tests they have. Again, can't comment till I ride myself, so it's anybodies ballgame at this point.

Best of Luck in the decision, it definately won't be an easy one.

Mike

Old 10-01-2001, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Oops, like a dumb_ss, I didn't notice your signature quick enough. Also, just noticed over in the SP forum you bought the machine yesterday by the looks of things, and seem to be happy with it thus far. Glad to hear it. My question then is the motive for the post-surely you aren't considering a trade already are you? Maybe looking at getting a second 400 cc machine for the wife? Sorry for the questions, just curious as to why the post when you already have the machine you're asking about. BTW-my opinion still stands, if you were indeed interested.

Best of Luck, and if you do end up with a plow like you mentioned wanting over in the SP forum, take a good look at the Moose line, they are built to last-definately a good unit.

Mike

Old 10-01-2001, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cowboy/others
What is the standard warranty from the manufacturer for AC's and Polaris? I've narrowed it down to the HO or the 500i. The 500HO seems to have more snap which seems to concur with the general consensus that AC doesn't set the world on fire in terms of speed. I saw an opinion somewhere that the AC auto's were noisy. Has anyone found this to be a problem? What about HP I know the CC's of each but how does it translate?
It boils down to the reliability of the AC vs. the reliability of the Polaris. Everything else is pretty even to me.

I've ridden them both and planning on doing it again.

Thanks for everyone's input.. learned a substantial amount in this forum over a short period. Looking forward to the big purchase.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

The auto in the AC's are a constant drive type auto meaning the belt is always spinning thus more noise to a degree but less chance of slipping and stripping the belt. The tranny case is also of aluminum and not plastic like the polaris. Sturdy yes. I'm not ascientist by any means but aluminum transmits noise more than plastic. There is a reason they make all of those new engine covers, shields, and insulation out of plastic in new cars and trucks, weight and noise dampening. There also just a different design to some point. The HP on the 500 engine is rated at 29 in my point of origin papers and 31 ft/lb of torque(2001 500 manual). Texascat and ride together alot and my manual is faster than his 2001 auto most likely due to effeciency issues. Someone mentioned the 2002 have a slightly new design in the tranny for less slippage. I haven't heard any more on that though. Maybe just a rumor. I clocked my cat at 48 mph this weekend on the GPS going both directions on our gravel road at 500' elevation and 80 degree temps. It has run 51 on GPS on a hardpack sand road at our other place but that was right after an air filter cleaning and fresh CR8E plug at 80' elevation and 75 degree temps. Speed demons... no. Two speed tranny with plenty of low gearing though and you can spin any tire you want in any condition. I don't know for sure about it being the same as a sportsman but Texascat's nephew(aka duey) has a Magnum and the tranny didn't sound any different than texascat's auto. I've never seen the inside of an ATV tranny but the cats may use straight cuts gears for more strenght at the expensive of more noise. It's kind of like the winding noise when you but a truck or car with a manual tranny in reverse. the reverse gear is straight cut(hince the difficulty putting it in reverse sometimes)... lots of noise. Just some ideas. Good luck. You'll enjoy either one.

Old 10-05-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

IN all my riding of both brands I've found that the Polaris belt trannies are louder. I would also like to clear something up by asking a question.

Has any one ever started up there Arctic Cat with out the CVT cover on? If so, does the belt spin while idleing?? I've never did this and was wondering if it did so. I ask this because when idleing they don't seem to have the belt spining (it might always be engaged on the pulleies but there is a clutch that engages the pulleys to spin the belt). I'm going off of what I hear. When I rev the autos up you can hear the belt/pulley assemably start "winding" when in neutral.

Old 10-05-2001, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yes Boner the belt does move when at idle. If you do a rapid stop from high speed you can stop the belt. That's why you hear the bark that people hear when they go again. It's because they have stopped the belt and it is holding the driven pulley apart. Once you give it gas and the drive pulley goes together the belt pops up the driven pulley causeing the bark. Otherwise the belt is always moving.

The whining you hear is because the belt has cooling cogs on the outside as well as the inside. The whining is caused by the belt traveling through the air and causing ther air to be moved around. Polaris belts are smooth on the outside that's why they don't whine. The outside cogs also help keep the belt cooler by giving it more surface area to dissapate the heat. That is why the AC belt should out last the Polaris belt.