Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bi/Tri claws or 589's

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 08:43 PM
sly
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi/Tri claws or 589's

I have a Y2K 500 Auto, And would like to here the pro's and con's of each tire. Called Highlifter They said both tires are great. So just thought Id get some top input from thoes that run each of these tires. The size will be 27'' and I dont have a lift kit. I dont think I need one, Right?. Thanks for any Info.

SLY

Old 12-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I went thru the same decisions earlier this year.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] It is a daunting task to finally narrow it down.

I went with the Bi/Tri Magnums. All I can say is "AWESOME TIRE"!!!! They have all the grip you will ever need, they self clean in the mud very well and they look BAD AS HELL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

At slow speeds they are a little rough on the hard pack, but not as bad as Vamps or some of the other aggressive tires.

A lift kit?? I would recommend a lift. Normal trail riding you would be OK but I guarantee if you ride your machine like you OWN it, you will bottom out with 27" tires. I have a lift and when I am riding hard and fast I occasionally will rub my tires. Not bad, but with out the lift I don't think it would be good![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Do you plow with your wheeler? One thing I noticed with mine is when you swing the plow hard left or right your tires will catch the outside edge of the plow when turning...not recommended!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Luckily I checked it out the clearance before doing any damage to the plow or my tires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Hope I this helps!!

Old 12-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I would recomend the bi/tri combo, I have never had them. But I have had the 589s on 2 different quads and was not real excited with them at all. I do know that others do like them, but I do not. There are other tires out there that ride better cost less and perform in the mud just as good.

Old 12-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

You can't go wrong with either tire, but the Tri-Claws to me are more of a "Mud Tire" than the 589's. The Claws have more of a side bite too, helpfull for steering out of ruts. Right now I have 4 Tri-Claws(and 2 spare Bi-Claws) on my 2001 AC500. Like Fango says, it does bottom out when riding hard. I installed spring spacers which helps with the bottoming out. I also have a lift kit which I should install some day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

So what I am hearing is that the "Claw Combo" is better for people who do more mudding and the 589's are better for people who do more trail riding but want bite for their occasional mudding. Is this a correct assessment?

I'm still probably months away from putting new tired on my 400 act Cat, but when I do, I'll probably be making this same choice. Not sure if I will go with a lift or just chose a smaller tire. I'm inclined to not only lift but space the tires out some. Any thots on this?

Sly, let us know what you go with and give us a ride report, please.

Old 12-06-2002, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

The only reason I would space the tires would be for clearance issues. It may look cool but it just isn't very practical in my book. I would go for a lift kit or "spring" spacers because of the added ground clearance. That is a huge advantage when wheeling! With a one inch lift and 27" tires I gain 2 inches of clearance from my stock position. You will get STUCK less for sure!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Spacers do give a wider track, but you can steer outta the ruts. With the Claws you got grab!!!!!!

Everyone I know has Vamps, Zillas, Outlaws, or Gators. All my riding Buds are very impressed by the Claws. For some reason they just are not as popular as the others I listed???!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I don't discredit the Titans. I like my 489's and I am sure they 589"s are fine. They are a good tire, but if I was spending the cash I would buy the Claws again!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

You guys that have a 02 act quad will need some spacers to keep the rear tires from rubbing on the springs when the rear articulates. On the 01 and earlier acts and all the i models you will have no problem with a 27x12 on the rear. I have run 27" 589s, 27" Vampires and 27" Gators on 500 Cats, if I was doing it again I would get the Gators. They are a great trail tire that can keep up with all the big mud tires. The difference is in the sidewall, you can air it down to flex. Where as the 589s and Vamps their sidewall is so stiff that they do not flex. There is also the weight factor a lighter tire will be easier to spin, yes it is true 3lbs does make a difference. Also you have to factor in the price. From what I have seen the Mudlites look to have a flexable sidewall, they may be worth a look.
If any of you guys need some spacers or rear springs for a Cat I still have mine and would make a good deal on them.

Old 12-08-2002, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

I would get the Claws, they are more of a mud type tire and they are bigger(more like 27.5) and wider than the 589s. They also have a great ride.