Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'03 400i with some problems - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 400i with some problems - help

I put my 400i automatic to some good use this last week and several problems have surfaced. I still have less than 100 miles on the machine.

1.) Shift lever does not fully go into the L position. I have to tap the gas, then I can push the lever the rest of the way forward into LOW.

2.) Annoying vibration under seat area. I think it is the exhaust pipe. It is loudest while driving, but will make the noise by revving motor while stopped and in neutral also.

3.) After driving in LOW, I come to a stop and shift into HIGH. When I start to go, I can tell that the transmission hasn't really shifted into HIGH. When I let up on the gas, the trans _SLAMS_ into HIGH gear, then it drives normally.

4..) The exhaust shield over the pipe on the left side doesn't work. The plastic melted out where two pieces of plastic are held by a screw.

5.) Handle bars have slipped down. I can adjust myself, but now I can't find what position is best. What was the factory angle or height?

Any comments on these items would be great. I am going to take it into the dealer, and would like to go in informed if these are common issues. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 500i manual, but after 500 miles I have noticed:

hi/lo shifting is a bit balky at times, especially going low to high. If the shift lever doesn't go all the way, give it just enough gas to engage the clutch, and then try shifting again. That always works for me.

One of the skid plates buzzes at certain engine speeds. Most cats do this. This can be quieted.

The exhaust shield on the 500i is metal. No problems there.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 375 and your "problems" seem common, here is what I did to get rid of mine.

1.) I have found that it is easier to shift when it is on a level surface and I did not use the breaks to completely stop.

2.) Go and buy you some 1/2" self adhesive foam insulation (the kind that comes on a roll) remove the side panels on each side of the gas tank and adhere it to the whole edge that afixes to the front fender plastic. (if you still have warranty your dealer may do this for you, Mine did but its a great dealer)

3.) Same as in #1 but gooing into neutral then back to H will stop it from slamming between the gears

4.) I don't have one for this one mine is metal and have had no problems, mine also has heat reflective tape on the inside of teh plastic.

5.) have someone give you a hand, while your sitting on it get it where it feels right and have them tighten it down for you.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

for problem #1 a dealer told me put turn the idle down i did that and it help but not totaly. i found if you push down on the toe shift so the clutch is engaged or disengaged how ever that goes it shifts fine. but mine shifts fine from high to low fine. but mine shifts hard from reverse to high. as for not disengaeing from low range mine does that loud clunking no fix yet. as for the vibration under the seat mine does the same. mine is missing a bolt that holds the exaust on.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

My buddies Grizz 660, my Grizz600 and 500HO all shifted like that. They all have there own personalities when it comes to shifting an auto. The 660 seems to be the worst of all. He has to rock back and forth most of the time to shift from hi/lo rev or whatever.

Speaking of which, did anybody see the shifter for the Kawasaki 700 sport bike, it's on the handlebar. I guess its electronic. That's what I would want if I had another auto.