Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

broke both rear axles last night without a lift,this sucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke both rear axles last night without a lift,this sucks

man am i pissed at arctic cat right now. was not even going in the bad stuff yet and my buddies started yelling your back left tire is not pulling. i backed up and one of the guys that was riding with us has a atv shop that works on all brands. he said he knew exactley what is wrong. where the shaft goes into the rear diff broke clean into. not the cv joint. he said he did not know why arctic cat made the axle big and neck it down where the splines are the size of your thumb, poor desine. well was trying to get back to the truck and you guessed it broke the right rear the same way. man if i had none this was going to happen i would have never got this bike. i should have gone with my gut instinct and got a 700. now i am stuck with a bike that is only good for trail riding with stock tires. this sucks. i hope they have a recall on this. i am calling arctic cat in the morning and see if i can get my money back. like that is going to happen. i am going to see if they are planning on recalling the shafts. i am going to tell them i am going to tell everyone i see to not buy a cat.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Feel for ya man, but 28" tires weigh about 2X the stock ones, bike was never designed for that sort of abuse. I doubt AC will back you up on this one, good luck.

Old 04-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Max

Your not alone! There is another person on here that broke the two rear axels as well. And you guessed it he has 28 12.5 x 12 laws!

The guy i ride with that has the 450 kod has 28 10.5 x 12 laws and he broke a shaft weekend before last! he has had the bike for about 8 months and rides harder than any of us, i mean slamming the bike around,but he had titans on it! He then bought some laws because he wasnt doing as good as us thinking it would help him and sure as he put them on about 4 hours into the ride he snapped his axel. Im telling you the laws will break stuff!!!

OEM makes the shafts which is the same for every honda polaris yamaha etc.

This is exactly why i took off the zillas. they are heavy and are made to go on bikes with modified engines and such. They are competition tires! Way to aggressive if you ask me.

Be cool with AC and they will help you out. I wouldnt steer you wrong man but im telling you i will go any where you go with my mudlites just as easy if not easier because of the HP gain! Check em out and swallow your pride! i know it looks good on the bike and to see peoples reaction when they see the big tires. But I found that i like being the bike they never see comming. they take a look and say well his tires arent as aggressive as mine i can take him. NO WAY! they all learned real quick Saturday that I was the MAN!!

Good luck

Old 04-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

That really sucks man, i had both my rear shafts break on my 98 Polaris, 320 bucks a piece. It was out of commision for a while. They had those horrible u-joints on them and they were torn to shreds when i took them out. I had stock tires on it to, just wear and tear i guess but its still a bummer. I would definately talk to arctic cat though cause from ur description it seems like ur cat is brand new.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

well i guess what i am going to do is try and get it fixed in the morning with the warrenty. then maybe get some gorilla joints are get some mud lites. i guess i am just mad because of all my mudriding experience with other bikes i have broken more cvs in three months with this bike than all my other bikes combined. so you say you can go where all the other guys with the laws and zillas can and better. how do they clean out and what type of mud is it where you ride out. where i live which is about 30 miles from where they have the marango swamp ride, all the terraine is bad mud you think they will do ok

Old 04-28-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Max

Its my opinion that there is nothing worse in this world than Arkansas Gumbo and i feel that there is alot of people here that would agree with me. ITs deep, its thick, it stinks, and when it dries you better get a chisel out to get it off your bike!

Yes I swear for these tires to be as cheap as they are there is no better tire for the money! We rode with vampires,gators,EDLs, titans, outlaws, etc. of course all of them pull great! I dont think they pull any better than the rest of them ,but the thing is, THEY PULL JUST AS GOOD AND YOU KEEP YOUR H.P. Your able to hit second and third gear to give you that extra momentum and speed while your in the hole.

They clean extremly well! If you have any water present they will stay cleaned. But where im at with the gumbo, if htere is no water, NOTHING and I MEAN NOTHING will shed the gumbo, I dont care what they say. Gumbo is bad. \
Also I noticed that they pull alot better than the rest in sand. your able to stay up on top of it alot better than the others

If anyone is interested in some zillas let me knowTextText

Old 04-28-2003, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

I know how ya feel Maximus,bout having a POS bike.I been battling Suzuki ever since I bout my Vinson!

Old 04-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

well overall i like the bikes features. no electonics are belts to slip. i just wish they would have done a better job on the axels.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

iv got over 450 miles on my cat with only minor problems {air box shock ajuster and a weepie left rear axle seal} but thats it and i ride mine very hard and i got gators on my bike, i dont do no big jumps or nothing but i do lots of mud bogging hill climbing and logging road rideing and i hope i dont break any axles but if i do i hope its coverd by warrenty. ps. i hope they fix your cat for you under warrenty.

Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

This mudbuster? I was just wondering.

Crazy Cat, where is Marion in relation to Mtn home?

Quick Reply: broke both rear axles last night without a lift,this sucks