Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

LOST REPECT FOR THE CAT

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOST REPECT FOR THE CAT

i have been waiting for the first mud ride of our season(northern newbrunswick canada) and we were about , 15 atvs of all sorts i have a "03 500i and it was crazy at the stuff i could pass through,,,, i have 27" mud bugs and all the other bikes had stockers and 2 had bear claws,,,, they all passed in pretty much the same place i did and they didnt break there rear cv joint coming out the right side of the diff... i was not stuck.......... i just was going through water, and heard "snap" then i had to limp home in 4 wheel drive with everyone kidding with me saying i should have bought a honda{maybe i should have) i bet it was the mud bugs that helped out this break but what pissed me off was that we went through some preety slick and sticky stuff and with a little rocking and reverse /forward jerking of the atv NO ONE GOT STUCK TO USE THE WINCH OR HAVE TO PUSH,,, and there was even 2 2WHEEL drive 350es" s with us with bear claws on the back!!!!! if i would have known that 27 mud bugs would have broke CVs and only help A LITTLE compared to stockers,, i would not have paid the 500$ they cost to put them on or spend 200 less to get the bear claws,,,PS the only mod i have is the dalton clutch spring! and ,NO LIFT KIT

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear that your machine broke. A word of caution, take the bugs off before you take it in for warranty. I've read on these forums that oversized tires will break things, especially with something as aggressive as Mud Bugs. They have a wider footprint than stock, so they have more bite, and in turn, cause more stress on the drivetrain. Hopfully for your sake it was just a weak CV and AC will honour the warranty.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

yea but mudbugs in know way should brake a cv. arcitcat just messed up and made some bad cvs. i am getting gorillas as we speak made. i ride 100% mud and i do not want to keep fiting arctic cat every time i brake a cv, and i am not going to weight around for them to recall it. these are the crapiest cvs i have ever seen. i have had all brands of atvs and have ran big tires on all of them and on the 3 months that i have had my cat i have broken 3 now. that more that all the other bikes combined. whats up with that. i know the tires have something to do with it, but i am not a ***** to the wall rider,and i have hurd of people braking these cvs with stock tires on. i love the bike and would buy another one, the only flaw is the cvs.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Basstoy- Your Cat will continue to break axles as long as you keep putting stock AC axles back in it. I have had every ride I have been on cut short for me because of axle failure. After breaking 3 in a month, I am giving up on stock axles.

I know a lot of potential AC customers that have bought other brands because of this. AC will replace the axle but all you are doing is setting yourself up for another ride cut short.

AC needs to recall these axles or offer a credit to the customer for an aftermarket axle. There is only one, but expensive solution at this time www.gorilla-axle.com

I like my AC but this is a big problem that we have to deal with in the independent models. You may be able to get away with only buying the 2 rear axles for now as they are the ones most likely to go.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Maximus,

Can you give us an idea of the price of these axels you are having made?

Old 05-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

i am going buy there today. i worked out a deal with my dealer and i am going to give him my 2 broke cvs in exchange for a extended warranty, so i need to pick up my broke axel to sent it to them. i will try and find out what they are going to cost everyone. i am thinking its going to be 350 for one complete unit. but i am not sure

Old 05-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I had similar problems with my cat, only in the rear. I busted two axles shafts, not the CVs, the AXLES!! I got it covered on warranty both times, I gave it back to them with the stockers. I love my outlaws, they make a night and day difference in the mud you can go through alot more than stockers. I do blame my outlaws and my extra wide offset rims for my cat breaking.

The only clear way that I can see is to buy a solid rear axle quad, thats what I did. A nice Praire 650, I love the power, way more than my 500i. The axle's will cost about $300 per axle, so about $1200 total. Thats gorilla axles, I can't justify buying axles that cost that much, I would just rather get a different quad.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

I on the other hand have been very very fortunate! I have not broke any ..YET

AC is in the middle of commingup with a solution for the bad axels!!

They are aware of the problem and are trying to address it!

Big tires are not the problem,and what you really dont know is you just bought the best gauranteed warranty known to ATVs. Ac will honor your waranty with or with out big tires!

My dealer suggested big tires and Mudzillas is what he ordered for me!

Look on your paper work that you got when you bought your bike and call AC and let them know your situation. This will add to the list! And as long as they know about your bike at any time no matter if it is 3 years down the rode, They will warranty these axels for you!!
I promise you!!

Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible that there was just a bad batch? If so then they will probably do a recall on it.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yes they will end up doing a recall! I called my local shop and they said they have had no Complaints, other than people tearing up boots and not knowing it and then they pop a cv!

Quick Reply: LOST REPECT FOR THE CAT