how to prep a quad that has been sitting for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to prep a quad that has been sitting for 3 years

Hi all new to the forum and I have a few questions.

Im picking up an 08 kawasaki kfx450r from a friend of mine that has been sitting in his shed for 3 years and has not been ran. It has low hours and in very good condition. I know ill have to change out the oil and probably replace the battery. I was wondering about the engine, since its been sitting so long im sure the cylinder walls are dry and I dont want to try to start it up risking damage. Is there a spray or something that can be put into the engine to help pre lubricate the cylinder walls and valve train? also what kind of additive should I put into the fuel to help clean the injectors and the rest of the engine.

thanks

will

Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I am not an expert by any means but this is what I would do

drain the fuel before cranking it over clean the carb add new fuel
pull the plug(s) and put 2-3 drops of oil in the cylinder to lube it from the top side (yes it will smoke a bit on start up but will stop shortly after its started (as soon as the oil is burned out)
change the oil and all fluids (differential, rear end, etc)
put in a new battery with a full charge
drain and change the coolant (if liquid cooled)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good advice, one thing i would do after you add the oil up top, is ever so slowly, pull the ripcord/pull start a couple of revolutions. i believe that would put the capful of oil on top of the piston up on the cylinder walls. heck i'm no expert either. i hope the big boys see this one and lend a word of advice.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

not knowing the machine he is referring to if it dont have a pull cord all that I mentioned is for one like mine (no pull cord, is liquid cooled(some are air cooled with no coolant)) if its a manual you can push it with the engine stop switch in the off position and turn motor over slow also

Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

after the oil change pull the spark plug and add alittle oil down the cylinder... hit the start button a few times with the plug out. this will get the oiling system going and get things oiled up before you fire it up ....

Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like the other replys, pull the plug, put in a few drops of oil and with the run switch off crank it over a few times. I would also replace the plug, change oil and filter, clean the air filter. Flush the old coolant and refill with new. Odds are the carb will be a mess. I would just remove it to clean it well, take out the jets to clean them and everything. When you do go to start it for the first time might want to add a liberal amount of sea foam to the new fuel. Then just hold on and mash the gas.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow thanks everyone! lots of good info. ill keep you guys posted once I get everything up and running.

will