ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

wiring help on a 200es

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring help on a 200es

hey man....find the black wire with a red tracer going to the ignition switch......unplug it....itl run then...but i dont know if itl charge the battery, or if the lights will work.....but that wire is grounded to the green one when the ignition is in the "off" position. the run/off/run switch does the same thing with the black wire....as long as it isnt grounded out, the thing should run....

Old 04-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! Never delved into the ATC forum before but this is right up my alley. I worked on ATC's til I was bleeding them in the 80's and I still love em. Maybe I can help a little. You can think of the ignition and lighting\charging circuits as being completely separate on the venerable old 200ES. The black\red wire is the exciter coil and powers the ignition, got nothing to do with your battery or lights. The ignition is disabled by grounding the black\red wire via either the ignition switch, or the emergency kill switch. The two yellow wires supply AC for the charging system. What I can't remember for sure is if the lights are AC, I'm thinkin they're DC and just run directly off the battery through the ignition switch and lighting switch, at least on this model. The starter cellunoid receives DC battery voltage on the yellow\red wire which comes from your starter button. The green\red ground for the cellunoid runs through the neutral switch (therefore no ground and no start in gear unless you're in neutral). Whew...and always remember, solid green is always a ground on Honda's. If you can tell me wire colors, I can probably tell you what they're associated with. Also, I may be able to dig up a complete diagram at work.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

whoever can help.

I just restored my 84' 200es and have wiring problems. after i put it back together everything worked except the headlight (only worked sometimes - and when it did work it would blink dim when the bike was running). a couple of day later, it didn't want to start. the green neutral light comes on when i turn the key on, but nothing when i press the start button. if i jump the solenoid it starts. checked all plugs, connections, and contact on start button (and switch is on run). is solenoid bad? how can i check it? does solenoid have anything to do with the lights? any help would be appreciated so i can quit scratching my head and start back riding. later co

Old 05-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

i believe the main relay back by the solenoid is tied into to lighting circut....its also controls the starter solenoid itself. you can check your solenoid by making contact on the smaller wires going into it directly to ground and power....the solenoid should click loudly. it will probably be easier to do this with the solenoid out of the rubber boot that holds it. the solenoids on these things must be decent...because mine sat caked in mud and corrosion unused for maybe 5 years....and still worked when i hooked it up. the main relays however, appear to be junk....i fitted a relay out of a dodge caravan to mine. the plug on my main relay was destroyed also.. when i go home(at work now)...ill look at the color of the wire you can test to see where the problem is. just post some pics so we all can see your project..

Old 05-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks odysseyjunk, problem solved. i also posted some pics for ya. later co

Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just got a 84 trx200..all the wirings gone.the stators are there,coils there,the rectifire and the cdi..what all do i need to do to get it to fire?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by odysseyjunk
ok....i think i figured it out. i have 2 yellow wires out of my stator that run to the rectifier, from the rectifier, a green ground wire runs to the coil, cdi, everything. the red wire out of the rectifier wasnt hooked up to anything...i presume it is for my lighting/starter solenoid. there is also a black wire that comes out at the same place as my yellow wires(out of the crankcase). this wire provides dc 12v power apparently, without the rectifier. it runs to the ignition switch, kill switch, and the the cdi box. when i turn my kill switch off, it grounds this wire out to the green wire.
ok--now another question. my ignition stator, the black wire, puts out around 7-8 volts when pulling the motor over. the red wire off the rectifier puts out maybe 2-4volts. am i just not turning the motor over fast enough to get a better voltage? or do i have a weak lighting stator or rectifier maybe?
also, should the lighting stator (red wire) be hooked up directly to the battery off of the rectifier?
i think ill try your idea(knowsalot) on wiring the lights to the battery with a toggle switch.

ps- if anyones reading this and doin the same wiring as me, post something and maybe i can help you or you can help me.
im trying to get mine to fire..could u please tell me what wires i need and where they go? im not worried about a headlight or kill switch or anything.just the bare minimum or wires i need to get it firing

Old 04-03-2024, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1984 big red Honda 3 wheeler

The problem I am having is my big red honda 1984 3 wheeler 200es is not getting spark, but the weird thing is last winter it was very cold and got spark but than when it got warm out no spark pls help