ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Problems with my atc HELP! :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my atc HELP! :)

Hi i am new to the small motors. I just recently aquired a 110 1980 honda atc. I was told there were problems with the carb. I pulled the carb out and cleaned everything in it out put it back on the atc. I also cleaned out all the gas lines and such to clean any old gas out of there. Now the thing is i cant start the thing with the rope. It just will not go. So i had a friend push me and it started but then died. He had to continue to push me untill the atc pulled away. Once it pulled alway it would go no problem till i let of the gas. When i let off the gas the bike would bog down and die. Nothing i could do to revive it. I would slam it in nuetral and give it gas but it would die everytime. Any Idea's on this. I have been told maybe compression?

Thanks a bunch Yes i am a n00b to this board.

Scott Stoner

Old 04-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the carb could be way out of adjustment, was there alot of rust in the gas tank? If so then maybe a peice flaked off and got back into the carb.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:29 PM
The Facility

First thing, as always on an ATC110, put in a brand new NGK sparkplug before doing anything else.

There is a very quick and easy way to check compression on a 110 engine without using a single tool. People laugh at this, but those who worked on these engines long ago know that I'm right.
Put it in 2nd gear and see if you can push it without the tires dragging. If it rolls easily, time for rings and maybe a borejob. If it doesn't roll easy (or at all) the compression is good.

If your compression is good, and assuming that your gas is clean and fresh, check the intake at both the engine and the carb side for leaks. Spray a bit of carb cleaner on the intake and then try pulling the rope to start it. If it starts right up, you have an air leak at the intake. ATC 110s are prone to this when the plastic isolator on the engine side of the intake cracks.

Another place to look would be the points. Be sure they are not pitted and they are clean. use a piece of fine emory cloth or small file to smooth them up if needed.