ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200X transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200X transmission problem

Ive got a 200X an 83 that runs very good but third gear has somthing wrong teeth missing or somthing you can shift to third and it rides along just fine then all of a sudden it jerks real bad and is fine for a second andjerks again all other gears work great and it runs super strong but third gear has problems clutch works fine and grabbs very good it almost feels like the chain is slipping on the teeth but i marked everything to see if it was that or sprocket slipping on axel splines and none of this is the case it has me puzzled lemme know if any one knows what this is and where i can find parts to fix thanks

Old 05-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums!! It sounds like a worn gear, but wait for either KNOWSALOT or ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash to tell you whats wrong, cause they know everything.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:02 PM
The Facility

Thanks for the props Ryan, but I know alot, not everything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You've just made my job alot harder....LOL

200X transmissions having problems almost always relates to third gear. I have about a half dozen bottom ends with 3rd gear problems and when you split them, the same gear is bad everytime....both on the mainshaft and the countershaft....and sometimes more gears from the grinding of broken teeth being tossed around in there.

Funny thing that you seem to need a tranny..... I just put one on ebay yesterday. Complete with all the shafts, gears, shift drum, and forks........and it's going to go for cheap.

If you wait around too long, those broken pieces will end up clogging your filter on the oil pump and then total havoc will result from there.

Get yourself a omplete gasket kit and then tear that puppy down and see whats what. You may get lucky and only need two gears, but chances are, you will need all ten along with a few other things. Don't forget to take apart the filter for the oil pump and clean it out as well.

Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know everything either, I just know that I think Knowsalot is correct [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].....and welcome to the forum!

Old 05-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info can you order these parts new from honda or some other aftermarket company if third is always usually a problem i dont want to put stock parts that are gonna break again id like to put in stronger aftermarket gears if they are available i dont believe in cutting corners on things do it right and youll never have the same problem again i was going to wait to pull the engine and tranny down it just had a new top end put in it about 4 months ago but i suppose ill take it back apart and fix it lemme know if there are any aftermarket tranny companies or after market gear sets and thanks again

Old 05-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as I know all you have is Honda or E-bay!

Old 05-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Im not positive but I dont think any after market co. makes gears for the X. Service honda might still make them. If they do its going to cost you so be perpared.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
The Facility

Most of the larger gears run around $60 a piece, so it could very well run close to a grand by the time you throw in other things like shims, and circlips [always replace when one is removed], and then a gasket kit.

Get yourslef a known good tranny. When replacing gears with used ones, always be sure that which gear you are replacing, get the one on the other shaft that mates to it. Don't mix and match.