ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Do u put 2 stroke oil in the crankase and if so how much...>?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do u put 2 stroke oil in the crankase and if so how much...>?

?? thanks

Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

No, you could use 10-40 motor oil but should use a 2 stroke gear oil. I use Belray 80wt gearsaver in all my 2 strokes. Then you mix the premix in the gas, to lube the engine, unless it has a oil injector.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

NO NO NO!!! 2 Stroke oil is only for mixxing. Use gear oil, 80-85wt works great.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

I have always used 10w30 with no problems.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you riding a 2-stroke, or a Big Red, or just a Honda fan? I love the Bel-Ray Gearsaver in m 2-stroke crankcase, but running that stuff in a 4-stroke will also cause problems. Never put 2-stroke oil in any crankcase.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I've always used 10w 30 or 40 in my RM. Thats what the clymer manual says to use.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:05 AM
US Army lifer

This type of question comes up all of the time. With a few exceptions, mostly Polarises, there are two types of oil for any two stroke ATV out there. Premix oil and transmisson oil. Premix oil is used for engine lubrication and is mixed with the gas. Transmission oil is self-explanatory. A lot of people use automotive engine oil in their transmissions. Me personally, I have seen some damage from this, and I would never put that garbage in mine. Read this article from Maxima about how auto oil can damage your tranny. Some of the words get covered by a picture, but if you refresh the page frequently, you can finish the reading. Don't be cheap. Use the right stuff, and you won't have any trouble.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

Do you believe every adverstisement you see?? They are trying to sell something....so they are definitely not going to say that automotive oil is just as good. Im sure there is advantages to using motorcycle transmission oil/gearbox oil. And I do use it in some of my machines. But I have used 10w30 in my trikes for almost 10years and I have NEVER had a problem. Plus at the rate that I change my oil (because I go through DEEP water) I have saved enough money to buy many other toys!!!

Old 10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

What bike do you have? To see how much oil you need check a manual or call your local dealer. My 85 250R has a screw on the side of the case I remove. I put oil in the fill hole until it comes out of that screw hole. It is about 650ml, I believe. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have done it like this forever and haven't fried a bottom end yet, but it doesn't mean I'm right.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:15 PM
US Army lifer

Originally posted by: 3wheelerdude
Do you believe every adverstisement you see?? They are trying to sell something....
Go back and re-read the seventh sentence of my previous post. To answer your question, no, I don't believe every advertisement out there. I have, however, worked very closely with Factory Suzuki mechanics, and I have seen a lot of test data that they had compiled. Suzuki footed the bill in order to find what products met their standards. As a result, many of the lubricant companies produced extra information from their own independent tests, even sometimes showing a competitor's product as superior to their own. If you read the article that I linked above, there is a clear statement as to why automotive oil is approved for use. It's because some countries do not have the high quality products that we do, and the only thing available is standard automotive oil. Did you happen to think that maybe my riding style is different than yours? I might be a lot harder on clutches than you are. If you use 10W30 and don't have problems, that's great, but I would never feel right doing so. It would be like putting a rhinestone on my girl's finger instead of a diamond. She deserves the real thing, and so do my ATVs.

Quick Reply: Do u put 2 stroke oil in the crankase and if so how much...>?