ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Tri Z questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I may be buying a mint condition Tri-z that is barely broke in yet. The guys son broke his leg on either the first or second ride, and it has sat for years. Now i need some questions answered if possible.

1. What year is the Black and Red Tri-z or did they make them both years?

2. Is the motor a good motor to go crazy with, basically can it be made into a drag racer.

3. Is the swingarm the same as a banshee?

4. What do yo think a mint condition Tri Z is worth?

Thanks,

RoostkIng...

Old 10-24-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I can only answer a couple of questions but here goes:
1. My 85 was yellow and black but I think they made red and black both years. Not sure here.
2. Mine was a very strong runner, probably only a little slower than my tecate and it was bone stock. They were pretty light so with some mods I am sure they would really fly. Plus they are rare so you would look cooler going fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
3. Not sure here.
4. I would think a mint condition tri-z is worth around $1800, maybe $2000 only because they are so rare.

Old 10-24-2001, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

JMoney,
Thanks for the reply. The guy wants $1500 including a set of paddles. Im gonna take a real close look at this machine, Ive been wanting a trike for quite some time, mostly an 85-86 ATC 250R, but the condition of this Tri-Z may pursuade me to go with Yamaha, as far as the trike is concerned.

Thanks again,

RoostKing...

Old 10-31-2001, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

Did you take a look or buy the Z? I know they are faster than an 86 TRX250R. I used to raced them a lot and I always won. A couple of weeks ago I was riding with some banshees with FMF, Pro Circuit and Tommey pipes and my trike almost stock was as fast as them but I need to set up my carb since I added some Boyesen Pro Reeds and will most likely change my gearing. It was too short at that time but I just change it and I think now it is too tall. Keep us updated!!

Old 11-05-2001, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

That sounds like a good price, people around NY are asking 2K or more for nice trikes. You can still get parts from Yamaha, I can get parts for my Tecate. Keep it nice, have fun with it, and it will go up in value. They have airbox issues, but it can be fixed.

Old 11-05-2001, 03:02 PM
The Facility

That Tri-Z was the fastest around a flat track during the three wheelers day stock v/s stock. Mostly due to lowest center of gravity weight of the bunch. They are VERY rare finds, but also very few aftermarket parts available compared to the R. KNOWSALOT

Old 11-07-2001, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

RoostKing,
First of all I would like to say,You lucky dog!I would love to find a Z in that condition. I had a 85 black and red Z that I bought new that year.The only problem I had with it was,and I'm telling you this so you don't go through the pain,agony,and about a zillion plugs,is right after I got mine I started fouling plugs like crazy.Finally after about going through that zillionth plug I carried it back to the dealer and they found that the diaphram in the fuel pump had formed a pin hole in it.After that was fixed never had another problem out of it.
I left mine bone stock except for a twist throttle and flat track tires.Ahhh the memories,it brings a tear to my eye.Good luck, the Z is one fine machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2001, 05:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

The problem with tri-z is that parts are not available. I have a showroom clean all original and stock 86 atc 250R for sale in san diego. I want 2,100, its a way better buy then a tri-z. Call me if you want pics.
Mike 619-572-6561

Old 11-20-2001, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

moinfar,

Parts for the Tri-Z are available. They may not be as easy to find used as for a TRX250R (or maybe an ATC250R) but if you go to the Yamaha dealer you can order them. I just ordered OEM chain guide, light wires, lights. The hardest thing to find are the OEM plastics. Some colors are impossible to find but you can always order Maier plastics (front and rear fenders). Aftermarket is small when compared to an ATC 250R. Hope this helps.

Orlando

Old 12-05-2001, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

<< 1. What year is the Black and Red Tri-z or did they make them both years?

2. Is the motor a good motor to go crazy with, basically can it be made into a drag racer.
>>

1. I think the one my brother had was an '86 if I remember right and it was black and red.

2. The Tri-Z my brother had I think was ported out a lot. I also think the jug was cut down also but I don't know for sure on that part. It has a racing pipe on it and that thing would scream. It ran best on aviation fuel.

One time my cousin was riding the Z in the ditch and he was racing a Mazada pickup that was on the road going 90 MPH. My cousin pulled away from him at that speed.

Another time that same cousin was on his 250X ('87 or '88, can't remember the exact year) and he was wide open. My brother flew my him in 3rd gear!

I was pretty young when my brother had that thing and only really got on it a few times. I drove that thing pretty tame in 1st and 2nd gear for once it hit 3rd I could at least nail it and not worry about things getting two out of hand.

If I ever get a three wheeler though the Tri Z would be one of the three I'd look into. I'd look into a ATC250R, the Tri Z, or a ATC350X but that's just me.

Hope this info helps!

PS - This is my first posting on here so if I do something incorrect somebody please go easy on me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Tri Z questions