ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

tranny help desperately needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny help desperately needed

85 110ATC. had been sitting for unknown length of time. First test ride today - after some work , engine start and runs great. But tranny isn't shifting.

Clutch seems fine - engages smoothly, release at idle like it should. Shift lever isn't stripped or slipping.

Trike will engage first, but won't shift on up to second. The lever just stops at the normal spot, but trike stays in first. AFter riding around in first for about 15 min, it started occasionally engaging second - maybe once every 20 tries or so. A few times, it shifted on up into 3rd and 4th, but with false neutrals and jumping in and out of gear.

Ideas on what it might be? And more importantly, how to fix - is this an engine-in-frame fix, or am I looking at a complete tear down ?

Old 04-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

I am also dealing with a shifting prob on my 110.It will go from neutral straight to third.I only have third and neutral.I asked a guy i know and he told me about a 110 that did the same thing yours is doin.He said it was a spring on the shifting rod inside that had broke.It sat in against the side case.All u have to do is remove the side case of the motor and it shouldnt be that hard to replace.Even if u did have to take out the motor, it isnt that hard anyway, but u dont need to.

Hope i helped, good luck!

Old 05-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 110 with tranny/clutch prblems - If anyone can help? I try to put it in first from neutral and it pops out so I upshift again and it pops out and I upshift again and then it goes...but it is in third? Every once and a while I am in first or second but most of the time ....third gear..I always use LOW...

Any ideas, suggestions, known fixes?

Old 05-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are all having the same thing cause different problems. Pop off the right side cover and some broken crap is going to fall out. Pick up a manual and replace the broken parts and put it back the right way. I keep a couple off 110 bottom ends just for times like these. The only bad thing is if you haven't ever watched someone put the the shift mechanism together or done it yourself you won't know what you are looking at.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HMFIC is right. All these problems sound like they're in the shift linkage under the right engine cover. You will need to remove the clutch and primary gear also. Back when they were the rage, I fixed dozens of 110 shift linkages. The most common was the spring loaded detent lever broke, but I saw a few other things too. Generally pretty easy fixes.