ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Big Red 200M or 250?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Red 200M or 250?

I want to buy a 3-wheeler but don't know what to settle on. A Big Red 200M has reverse, and is light for going through the woods. The 250 is heck of a lot heavier, but has a rear suspension, and a bigger engine, as well as a bigger price tag. Which one is worth getting, I would use it for hunting, fishing and trapping. I really like the light weight and smallness of the 200M. What are the main differences of these two machines. Thank you very much.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

The 200M and chain drive Big Red (83 model) are not the same machine, but they are similar. The 84 Big Red had shaft drive/electric start/reverse, hi/lo range and the 200 engine but no rear suspension, only front shocks. The 85-87 were the 250 models with the front/rear suspension. I have owned a 84 and still own a 86, the rear suspension is a big plus although I did like the hi/lo range on the 84. The weight difference isn't that much, the 84 was listed at 406lbs dry weight, and the 86 is listed at 431lbs. They were all very good machines, I have never had a single problem with my 86 and my brother in law still has my old 84, I think all he has done to it is replace the starter solenoid. They are both great for hunting. They will fit in places you wouldn't beleive, they will go just about anywhere you can walk in the woods. My 86 is probably worth more now than I paid for it new, but I don't intend to sell it.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Agree w/V8
I have an 84 200M ( rigid frame ) - it definitely will get you wherever you want to go,
within reason, and is fairly simple to maintain.

I haven't owned one of the later Big Reds ( which have a rear suspension ), so I can't really
tell you how they compare .. but I can tell you that I ride with quad guys in the woods, and
when it gets really tough, they put me in the front, and my old 200M breaks the trail, and
they follow . . .the older rigid frame ATC's (200M, 200S, older Big Reds ) are very good in
bad trail or no trail conditions.

The right trike depends on how you are going to end up using it, of course . . . be
brutally honest with yourself . . . are you really going hunting with it, or is that just
an excuse to get out and rip some berms ??

If you are really serious about getting into and out of remote locations, the rigid frames will
do well in the tough stuff, but the suspended models ( later Big Reds ) will also do well,
and are also a much more comfortable ride getting to and from the tough stuff. And they cost more, and you also have not only a rear shock to maintain, but also the swingarm bearings, which tend to
wear out.

The Big Reds cost more, and are worth it if your are going to use , or need, the increased capability.
You can't really go wrong with either one , if you get a decent example that hasn't been
abused in irreversable ways ( almost all of them have been abused at this point, and almost all of them are OK with that - they are seriously durable machines ).

If you just want a simple, light machine that will get you into and out of the woods, get the
200M or S - much cheaper. If you want comfort and handy extras ( like the improved electrical
system on the later Big Reds ), get the Big Red - its worth the money if you are going to need
it.