ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Whats up with Farr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with Farr?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what exactly is going on with Tim Farr. I had heard he has been having trouble with the new Honda. Has anyone heard anything? Is it just taking them an extra long time to get the bike dialed in, or whats goin on? I heard there are rumors going around that he is going to ride one of his old bikes? If anyone knows, let me know,thanks

Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 AM
The Facility

I have no idea, but can tell you that he will not be riding anything but the 450R as long as he's a Team Honda rider........except for the 400EX and that seems absurd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

The big rumor / story floating around is that Honda is telling the team how to set the bike up and what parts they can and can't use. Farr and his mechanics know the problems, and could fix the handling with common aftermarket parts, but Honda will not allow it. They are demanding that the team use the parts that Honda endorses so that they can sell more of them and get the $$$. Another problem is the motor placement in the bike. Under the new rules, the team cannot move the motor the way they need to be able to. They cannot get the swingarm angle correct in relationship to the front sproket, and the chain torque is killing them. That is one of the reason the stock machine is so prone to wheelies when you don't want it. Farr says the bike has way too much rear bite, and that he can't slide the bike like he needs to , or get the power on early enough in the turn, without a wheelie. There is a huge thread on this at EXRiders.com

Old 03-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I talk to Walsh racecraft, and they are basically saying that Honda missed the boat on this bike. They said that Farr and his team have the engine up to par with the yamaha(but it cost a lot of money), but the rear end is horrible. They said that they cant get it to work right. They said taht is what is holding him back. The front end is ok, but the rear shock doesnt have any travel. Thats after trying different linkages and swingarms..etc. Im kinda bummed to hear all this cause i just got the bike.!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear suspension is the only part of the TRX that I don't like. I have the rebound damping turned all the way in, and am still getting bucked in the big desert whoops. I was expecting to get aftermarket suspension eventually, but not this soon! I have to say however, that I have not liked the rear end on ANY bike I have owned, and they all are aftermarket.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Farrs' mechanics.? He has one?
You will notice that Tim has his own rig and that Mark Baldwin is on the other side of the pits. Honda dictated that there be a Sparks motor be under Farr. AND that there will be no more shock building/selling out of the trailer. They broke up a winning combination if ya ask me!
2nd moto in Cali. he had trouble with the carb cable.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

I somehow suspect Farr won't hang around long if this is how he is going to get treated by Honda. Unless they are paying him some huge $$$$$$$$

Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was at the first national in San Bernardino and Mark Baldwin and Farr were in the same race truck and Baldwin was doing all the work on Farrs machine. The had a spare bike with no motor in it that Baldwin was messing with as well. SO i dont know if baldwin isnt working on Tims machine just recently or what, but the naional at Glen Helen thati was at, he was there doing all the maintenance on it.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I was at Glen Helen also and did see mark w/Tim. I'm sure Mark won't leave Timmy high and dry, they go way back.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like he needs to get back on the yamaha or suzuki.

Too bad yamaha is being cheap and wont sponsor anyone.

Quick Reply: Whats up with Farr?