ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Is there any quad that can beat a CR250?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there any quad that can beat a CR250?

Originally posted by: atkrider
its not even the same 250 from the qaud to the bike, very close but the bike puts out about 8-10 more horspower than the quad plus in a bike you you now get a powervalve and that would beat the hell out of any stock qaud, i think the closest stock quad would be a quadzilla and im not a suzuki lover but they sure are fast.

the qadracer 250 and tecate 4 came with powervalves. That's not the issue. The issue is simply power to weight ratio. However, it is true that the bike version of the motor, like in the case of KX250 and KXF250 (Tecate 4), puts out more power. The KX250 motor that the Tecate 4 is based on is tuned for more peak power in the bike version and uses a bigger carb. In fact, the Tecate's motor needed a smaller carb and engine changes to put out enough extra lowend to offset the quad's weight. It also uses a counterbalancer...but I'm not sure if that robs HP.

As for the quadracer 250, I don't know if it was based on the RM250 motor so I can't say the same for the bike-quad comparison.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI I got to field test this question today against a highly respected, very expensive, perhaps over-hyped quad. The TRX450R has no chance in hell against a CR250R!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I didn't expect it to, but I really let him have it on the trails and we also set up a ~100 yd drag. I immediately jumped out and was gaining hard every second, slapped him like a redheaded step child. He was very cool and nice enough to let me ride the 450. It was quick, and had excellent traction, but the top end power was not as impressive as I was expecting. It was a stocker, but a pipe wouldn't have helped him enough to be anywhere near me (I am piped too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ), it was quite ugly. I didn't get a chance to count bike lengths (and it was too dusty anyway), but there were plenty of 'em.

I was a bit disappointed at the supposed high rev capabilities of the new high tech 4-stroke motor. I hear the Yamaha YFZ450 revs higher (10,750 rpm, my CR only revs to about 10,000)and has more top end power than the TRX. One thing's for the sure, the TRX is pretty mild stock but is still a great platform, the handling impressed me more than anything else. The very first corner I came to, I was doing a full lock powerslide as if I had been riding the TRX for years, it was very easy and natural.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: TooFast2Pass
You must be a CR250 lover. There would be nothing to watch, but thanks for showing interest. I did read the original post and I know that a Banshee with nothing but pipes and a K&N will take a piped CR250 if the Banshee rider knows his machine. I know this because although it wasn't easy, I beat my good buddys piped 03 YZ250 when my banshee was a stock quad with pipes and a K&N. Now if you've ever owned a YZ 250 and a CR 250 you should be able to tell me that the YZ is quicker and has better power delivery, therefore, a lightly modded Banshee will beat a CR250.
Ha ha I dont care how well the guy knows his Banshee he is not beating a CR250, with only pipes and jetting... geez I like Banshees but I know its limitations!

Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yah a kfz 700 you can put street bike motors in them mine has an r6 motor with a nitrous system. It tops out about 140 mph. But you have to mod your own stabilizers or else you will die, youll start to shake and you wont be able to keep it under control.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, what about an lt500? those are sick quads, im sure one of those can beat a cr 250

Old 09-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

Every quad guy keeps crying about building a banshee up to beat a cr250. Put the same money onto the cr moter and it will beat a mod banshee. I have a old cr250 1993 vintage with
little done and have not met a quad that could keep up yet

Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer

An atc tiger 500r probaly beat even though it's not a quad.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: TooFast2Pass
You must be a CR250 lover. There would be nothing to watch, but thanks for showing interest. I did read the original post and I know that a Banshee with nothing but pipes and a K&N will take a piped CR250 if the Banshee rider knows his machine. I know this because although it wasn't easy, I beat my good buddys piped 03 YZ250 when my banshee was a stock quad with pipes and a K&N. Now if you've ever owned a YZ 250 and a CR 250 you should be able to tell me that the YZ is quicker and has better power delivery, therefore, a lightly modded Banshee will beat a CR250.
Ahh the great debate. Obviously very heated. The thing about quads vs bikes is exactly that, they have more wheels on the ground.. The quad for sure only has similar horsepower to the bike with more weight, but the quad will find lots more grip as they have roughly 4 times the surface area of drive wheel in contact with the dirt. On a surface with plenty of grip, when the bike can get power to the ground efficiently it will always win due to the large power to weight advantage. On a loose surface where the light weight of the bike means most of the power produced goes to wheelspin the quad increase its chances of a win significantly. Finding a surface where the grip advantage comes into play though is very difficult because of the design of the tyres which limit wheelspin on most surfaces. This means on surfaces like dry, boggy sand a loose gravel it will be close but as soon as the bike bites in there will be no competition. Trust me on this, im 3rd year physicist at UWA, i might know a bit about this sought of thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2005, 05:54 AM
Trailblazer

Ahh the great debate. Obviously very heated. The thing about quads vs bikes is exactly that, they have more wheels on the ground.. The quad for sure only has similar horsepower to the bike with more weight, but the quad will find lots more grip as they have roughly 4 times the surface area of drive wheel in contact with the dirt. On a surface with plenty of grip, when the bike can get power to the ground efficiently it will always win due to the large power to weight advantage. On a loose surface where the light weight of the bike means most of the power produced goes to wheelspin the quad increase its chances of a win significantly. Finding a surface where the grip advantage comes into play though is very difficult because of the design of the tyres which limit wheelspin on most surfaces. This means on surfaces like dry, boggy sand a loose gravel it will be close but as soon as the bike bites in there will be no competition. Trust me on this, im 3rd year physicist at UWA, i might know a bit about this sought of thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][/quote]

Dont forget 3 wheels and by the way friction from the 4 wheels also comes into play when your talkin about 2wheels vs 4 wheels.................

Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I would have to say no, and will add that if you put the same amount of money into each the CR250 would almost always win. Rider talent on either machine would also effect the result. But with equal money and rider talent for each machine, the dirt bike would always win. Its a result of the power to weight ratio difference.

Quick Reply: Is there any quad that can beat a CR250?