ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

lower quad = less traction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower quad = less traction?

my rear on my 400ex has 9 inches of sag. i let the clutch out on he road and the tires let loose and spin in sted of pulling a wheelei. is it cuz of the angel my swing arm is in nnow?

Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd guess the road conditions have more to do with it than anything. I wonder what it would do on asphalt.
The swingarm should be level or above. ie: the swingarm pivot should be higher than the axel. If the pivot is lower it could be causing the lack of traction.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

the black top is only 6 months old and is cleen. my swing arm is streight lined up with the frame. like from that i can now beet raptors in drags cuz i can dump the clutch at 8000 rpm and take off no wheelies

look at my pics to seee how low it is and the angle of the swinger

Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

i would say just raise it up a little and ride it to see how it fells, if you look at my picts you can see how low my quad was, at that time it was horibily loose. i have sence raised it up some

Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL, I think things got confused. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
After your 2nd post, I figure you like the way it is, and prolly should! Seems you found the set-up to accomplish a great holeshot w/o raising the front tires. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
The topic question lead us to believe you were unhappy with the way it is.

OK, to hopefully answer the topic question:: we raise/lower the quad to get more/less traction and lower the center of gravity (or change it). It is known that you get less traction once the swingarm pivot goes below the axel. Altho some may like that way.
Real estate has location.
Quads have set-up. Whether it's for MX,TT,XC,etc. Congrats [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LT80
LOL, I think things got confused. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
After your 2nd post, I figure you like the way it is, and prolly should! Seems you found the set-up to accomplish a great holeshot w/o raising the front tires. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
The topic question lead us to believe you were unhappy with the way it is.

OK, to hopefully answer the topic question:: we raise/lower the quad to get more/less traction and lower the center of gravity (or change it). It is known that you get less traction once the swingarm pivot goes below the axel. Altho some may like that way.
Real estate has location.
Quads have set-up. Whether it's for MX,TT,XC,etc. Congrats [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

well i like puling wheelies and noiw i cant. but the hole shot thing is good except i have less than a inch of shock travle in the rear.