ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

how to make my own track

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make my own track

My mom and dad just inherited 10 acres and my dad said i can use 2 acres for a track and the 2 acres is all farm land and as soon as the beans come off im going out their and painting off my track then renting a bobcat. 2 acres isnt a lot but the track is only for me and my two brothers so the path doesnt need to be very wide Im thinking maybe 10 feet wide and if it is 10 feet I can make it really big. I want to know what kind of things should i put on the track. I know ill have some whoops, tabletops, berms, jumps but i want to have some obstacles like rocks, water, logs, but i cant think of anything else. If anyone has any cool ideas for a track please let me know what they are.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

2 acres is plenty of room. If you make the track go back an forth like a super-cross track you'll be surprised at how long it will be. My track is on less than 1 acre and its 1/8 mile long.

Here's a tip. I always disc my track before a bunch of us ride. Once you get 2 or more quads going around there you will develop huge berms. I never knock my berms down, I just keep discing the turns and straights.

Its also a good idea to disc the path of your track out first, then build the jumps. Discing provide a lot of loose dirt to scoop up...

Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

You can see my little track here:

MY PRACTICE TRACK

Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

Good post same here..Parents got 12 acers and I can use some to make a track...but don't have a real good spot to put it was gonna cut down a bunch of trees and make a suer cross track...best ways to make the jumps? and machines to rent

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

If you are dealing with tree's and tree roots you'll need a small loader, dozer, or good sized skid steer (preferably with tracks).

Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I built a supercross track with my skid steer and couple of tractors in a 10 acre feild. It ended up being a little over a half a mile long. When I first built it, I built a bunch of tabletops and some whoops, and when I became very confident on them, I took the dirt from the middle of the table and put it on the landing side, so I could jump farther. I currently have: 1 20' double, 2 30' doubles, 1 40' double, a 40' table top, a 20' table, a set of 4' tall rollers, a step down, a set of whoops, and 7 corners. I also set up my track so it could be linked to a woods track(80 acres of pines and river bottoms) that I marked off but didnt get set up yet. I would take some pics, but everything is covered in snow right now.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Range Rover

my dad told me i had to wait until the winter wheat comes off so it will be a while before i get to start it. how do you make whoops

Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Whoops are my least favorite part of the track to build. I usually start with the first one and get it the way I want it, then build the rest. You have to build them quite a bit larger than finished size because you keep running over them during construction. Spacing is a critical part. It all depends on if you want to double thru them or just hammer thru each one. I did not like the whoops on my track so I back dragged them about a dozen times with the bucket on "float" and it helped a lot.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

i dont know where your located but the best way to find dirt is craigslist me and my buddy are also building one and just post free dirt wanted and youll get people that will deliver it, and if you can find a dump truck you could find a bunch of dirt. This especially works if your near a bigger city, like i live about 45 minute north of detroit so i find ppl all the time. Also if the county is digging ditches near you ask them to deliver the dirt to your place, buying them some beer or pizza sometimes helps them to help you.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

Thanks HondaLover1985 i had never thought of that ill give it a try.where i live they are supposed to be making a resorvior so do you think they will have leftovers because they use the dirt for the outside of the resorvior.

Quick Reply: how to make my own track