ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Before a race..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i'd liek to know what all of you guys do before a race to get yourself mentaly Prepared for the race ahead of you. Confidence and aggression means so much in racing, and that is what i have been lacking all season. I need a good way to get out on the line and be agressive from the drop until the race is done with. Listning to music right before the race is a good way, and it gets you psycked but i lose all the aggression on the line..what do you guys think of on the line? This week i'm going to try to picture me riding on my own trails at home, and going fast..then open my eyes and try to be in the "fast" mood. haha. we will see where that gets me

ryan
00 ds
district 23

Old 06-22-2001, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

i see your from WI are you racing at the kaukauna stadiumcross this weekend...

Old 06-22-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

nope, never even heard of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ryan
00 ds

Old 06-22-2001, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Confidence is definetely important. The times I have gone out to race not expecting anything I usually havent gotten anywhere. I usually go out in several practices until I like how I am riding on the particular track. It always helps me if I like how my bike is set up and knowing that it is working on the track.

Aggression is good and bad. It comes from confidence if you get a bad start and know you you should be up front then you dont have any mercy on the people you have to pass. So maybe a little bump or whatever to help you get by them. It also can be bad though that aggression can cause you to blow a corner or get tangled up with a guy you are trying to pass because you didnt wait for the right oppurtunity.

When I do get on the line I just try to stay calm and concentrate on having fun. When it is getting close to the takeoff. I do try to get a little more psyched up off the start that is the time to take risks. The start is definitely where I take the biggest chances of the whole race it is where you are surrounded by other riders and where somebody elses' mistake can become yours. I usually have good luck at anticipating and getting around most of the riders who get in front of me off the holeshot.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 06-23-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hey.. I'm the one to be talking.. Cuz I have to do it tonight.. Just listen to some Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park before you head to the line. Always remember.. The other guys are just as nervous as you are.. if not more. All my butterflies go away when I pop the clutch and hammer the gas. Just make eye contact with the guys beside you.. and give them a determined look.. Because that will make them think you're as good as you look! Good luck, I hope it helps.. and I hope I can remember what i've told you..lol

Old 06-23-2001, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Haha i hope i can remember it also. I have a race bright and early tommrow morning (sunday). I'm going to take some limp and korn with and see if that does the trick. I'll listen to some AC/DC and Lynard skinyark also to calm me down...classssss. Thanks for the help, i'm just going to go out there and be more agressive, not let off as much and keep it pinned over jumps i'd usally let off for. If the A riders can make it, why cant i right? ha. Wish you all luck on approching races, and hopefully i'll have alittle luck in the morning. See ya guys

ryan
00 ds

Old 07-03-2001, 02:01 AM
Range Rover

Ive raced Sprint Karts since i was nine, then formula Vee and a few different classes. I havent started racing my quad yet but hope to next year. My advice would be to break down your lap. First you start with the start line. You should be focusing on nothing but that first corner and be ready to do whatever it takes to beat everyone there. From karting, I found its good to break down the track as well. I use the straights to start thinking seriously about the next corner. firstly i think about my brake point, then my entry line into the corner. next i think about when to gas it to give me the best drive and also the best line out of the corner. I find if i worry about more than whats going on at exactly that moment im either not smooth enuf or not fast enuf. I find if i concentrate hard enuf on the next five metres of track, you'll begin to think faster and smarter about your track and your lap times will start coming down and your opponents will start getting smaller behind you. Hope this helps.