ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Big news for GNC racers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done reading atvscene.com and they have really shook up the GNC series for 2002. The biggest news to me is that there will no longer be an overall GNC pro #1, because they have separated the TT series from the MX series. To me that is both good and bad. Good because you no longer have to build an expensive TT setup, but bad because it might hurt TT racing turnout. I also liked the fact that the #1 pro had to be the best in every aspect of ATV racing (MX and TT).

The second big news to me was in the 2003 season, no motorcycle engines (ie YZ426) can be used in any classes for the 2003 season. The people that spent BIG BUCKS building that 426 racer are hating life! I think this is a good thing. It will keep the cost down at least a little for someone to be competitive. Wonder what Tim Farr will ride for the 2002 season? I bet he will make the change for 2002 if he is going to.

The third big news is there will be a Pro production four-stroke class in 2003, allowing only factory ATV frames and engines. They are said to be pushing this as the premier class in the GNC. Makes sense and may get the factories involved again. There will also be an A, B and C version of this class.

The GNC series will be 15 separate rounds! The MX will be grouped together then TT, so no more changing from TT to MX setup every weekend.

I hope and pray that they FINALLY have a MX GNC at BUDDS CREEK! It is tentatively on the schedule and That track rocks! JT, if you are reading this, call me!

Old 10-09-2001, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

ummm,, yes we still have to switch from TT to MX,,look at the schedule.
no more GRAND national champion,,hope the guys whining about TT's are happy now.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

The key words in that part of my post were "every weekend"

Here's the tentative 2002 schedule:
March 23 -- Bud's Creek, MD -- MX (Jonathon Beasley)
April 13 -- Macon, GA -- MX (Donny Banks)
April 27 -- London, KY -- MX (Jerry Hebel)
May 11 -- Red Bud, MI -- MX (Red Bud Track & Trail)
May 25 -- Muddy Creek, TN -- MX (Victory Sports)
June 8 -- Birch Creek, Ringold, VA -- MX (Mark Keen, Riverbottom Promotions)
June 22 -- Mt Morris, PA -- MX (Racer Productions)
June 29 -- Ft. Dodge, IA -- TT (Fast-Trak Promo)
July 13 -- Elizabeth City, NC -- TT (Charles Speltz)
July 27 -- Ashtabula, OH -- TT (Fischer Cyle Racing)
Aug 3 -- Nashville, IN or Bardstown, KY (to be named) -- TT (Fast-Trak Promo)
Aug 17 -- Loretta Lynn's, TN -- MX (Racer Productions)
Aug 24 -- Sikeston, MO -- TT (C&C Cycle)
Sept 7 -- Greeneville, TN -- TT (Victory Sports)
Sept 21 -- Casey, IL -- MX (?)

Old 10-09-2001, 11:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

This is good news. Lower operating costs will result in many more entries and popularity of the sport going up. The "stock based" machine class will be a welcome addition.
I was reading in the latest Atv sport that this NEEDS to happen for the sport to flourish. Pressure will surely be on atv manufacturers to make better quads for all.
Also, these atv racers running at the top of their sport are well underpaid! This will hopefully get the ball rolling towards equaling paychecks between top dirt bike racers and top atv racers. What happens then....guys that were working all week and racing the weekends will be training all week. Competition level goes up!

Old 10-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Chawness,
Where on the ATVSCENE did you read this?
ERIC

Old 10-09-2001, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Its right there under the "This Just In" column

http://65.108.49.197/thisjustin/ATVAcongress01.htm

Old 10-09-2001, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks!
i just had to click "refresh" for some reason?
ERIC

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2001, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

Wow I can't believe they did away with the Orrville TT. I wonder why they did that? I think the new rules are fair and some were needed for along while. Factory racing may be back in full force [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2001, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Other good things that may come from this... 440EX... Z440 Quadsport... KXF250R... who knows. This is what Cannondale has been wanting, that is for sure.

Old 10-11-2001, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I feel that the AMA or ATVA or whatever they are should consider giving cycle engines some classes or at least allowing the mod classes for the youths to still run cycle motors. If they outlaw these what are the kids gonna race? All hopped up LEMS and Kaseas? I bet they jump real well with 1 inch of travel. Sorry to whine, just feel like the ATVA is slamming the door on us.

Quick Reply: Big news for GNC racers