ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Quad Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to hiper about their carbon fiber wheels for my raptor they donk have the offset I need 4+1 for the front....not till like may I think they said...

Old 02-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

sugarhead- Bike engines are still allowed in both GNCC and GNCs. You may think its a bad thing, but it really isnt. Face it, doug gust and tim far could win on a 250r with a stock frame with aarms and shocks. No matter what they ride they will win. They dont pay the full 20g's to build their bikes their sponsers do. You say the bike engines are keeping the little guys from doing better. Wrong. Remember its 90% rider and 10% machine. Angela Moore smokes many yzf quads with her modified 400ex. See the bike engines arnt giving riders a unfair advantage. It also cost as much money to build a fully national 250r as it does to build a yzf with an identical chasis.

What kawasaki is doing with their unlimited budget should not be alegal. Its called factory sponsership.

I have more to say but cant think of it. But it comes down to one thing, if u have pro talent you wont have any trouble gettin sponser to build your yzf or 250r.

matt

Old 02-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

100% true. Any help from the factories is welcome.

Old 02-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Also Factory Support would = Outside sponsors. Some big, some small but outside sponsorship would be good. It wouldnt matter if its Ford or Frosted Flakes. I know there are already some outside sponsors but no where near as many as bike guys have. It all has to start with the Factories though. New quads (race ready or very close to it), Advertising (as in T.V. commercials not just mags.) and Support. Ever see KTM's commercials or Honda's bike commercials cool right.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

KTM has commercial's? I haven't ever seen them. I agree that bike engined quads shold be able to run next year. I am not 100% clear on the rules since I can't race in, or even watch them over here, but basically it's that bike engined quads are no longer allowed? Same with after market framed quads? Is there another class that these quads can run in? I think they should have a Pro-Production class, then a "Pro-aftermarket" class where the rules are the same as they have been. Anyway, all you guys on the east coast just enjoy the fact that you can be in, or at least watch a GNC or GNCC race. Although there is a new smal series over here put on by World Off-Road chamionship, so things are looking up for west coast racers. www.worcsracing.com

Old 02-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

Oregon- Yes bike engines are still allowed in GNCs. Yes aftermarket frames are also allowed to. We may have GNCs and GNCCs here, but u west coast guys have Glamis and a alot of other dunes.

I think the GNCs made a pro production class, but i am not sure if the class starts this season or next.

matt

Old 02-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

No I dont mean they shouldnt run bike engines,I ment that I am trying to get into racing as a begginer and I ask and ask and ask and Its like No 1 either can tell me or they say ya needs this many years of experience or I am setting up a team whatis ya number and they never call ya back.I'm not looking to challenge doug gust or have an instant cannodale sponsorship just trying to get into it.where are what do I have to go or whom do I have to go to I'd like to get into GNCC and not so much into mx.I think its great and much needed that mfgs get involved its just dont make it a yuppie thing that its elitist cause then the sport wont grow and Im not wrong on that,I proved my point on that just look at cart and F1 racing,the popularity sucks here in american plus how many american racers ya see in that a couple and they are already established racers of some sorts.I just hope the mx split doenst mess up bikes just because a couple people see dollar signs for themselves and not for the whole sport as I see it fit.From what I hear the people running things are quite a bunch of morons maybe the racers should take things over then and run it since they already know what they want and how things should work.No matter what I say here in this board there is always gonna be people who agree and object so I wont take it personally.

Old 02-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

I disagree with the bike motor dilemma. I don't think they should be allowed. The whole point is that if you have two equal riders, one on a 20G YZ426 quad, and the other on a 10G 400ex, they YZ rider will win every single time. I'm all for talent, and sometimes a more talented rider will win, but I think the playing field should be leveled some. A normal rider shouldn't have to sell his house to race, and as far as the factory support goes, who the hell has that? The top 8 or so pro's? Maybe 2 A class guys? How many riders show up every weekend to pay for their purse, 400 or so? Get Real, I'm a national rider, and though I'm no Tim Farr, it's hard as hell to come up with the cash to compete. I had 15G in my 250R, and then had to sink 5 more in every year just for maintenace.I had sponsors out the wazoo, but discounts only go so far. A dirtbike rider can spend 7G on a bike and be competative in any class, we have to spend at least 12G just to get started. I know there is alot of stupid greedy people out there that thinks they know whats good for the sport and to leave things alone, but how good does it make you feel to beat some stock quad with your 20,000$ YZF? Your time is over, you have almost killed the sport, and you still complain when people try to ressurect it. Factories will come back, TV coverage will appear, but it all depends on how many people participate in the sport. The less it costs to be competative, the more people will do it, the more the factories will be interested in it. It's simple logic, and if you disagree, your just plain stupid, or afraid of getting your butt kicked by some poor neighbor boy that can't afford all the hyper exotic parts you can. Get a life and help the sport.

Old 02-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt bike engines are not killing atv racing, Yamaha and Honda are for not putting out pro caliber machines. The only reason people are building yzfs is becuase it cost just as much as a national 250r motor and its less tireing to ride.

A national R motor cost 700 for hinson clutch componets, 1700 for a powervavle, 300 pipe, 700 baldwin gears, and alot more $ to replaces bearings and anything else that needs it. So your looking at 3400. You can buy a yz426 for 4000 and sell the chasis for 1500. So then your only out 2500 and just need a pipe and your set.

matt

Old 02-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor,ya just said what i couldnt say or was stymied into saying.I think its freaking ridicoulous what it costs and ya dont even get tha tmoney back for most people who invest in it.I'd have more of a chance of closing my eyes and playing golf and making millions then some of us have at making it big w quads and hell I suck at golf.

Quick Reply: Quad Racing