Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to atving, 400 or shee?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003 | 09:07 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default New to atving, 400 or shee?

Hey everyone, this is my first post. My names Andy, im 17, and i live in Mineral Wells WV. Ive been riding dirtbikes for a few years, and i currently own a 99 kx 125. Im saving my money and selling my bike to buy an ATV this coming winter/spring. Im debating between the banshee and the 400ex. Ive ridden a banshee and thought it was very fast and powerful. I havent ridden a 400 though. I ride alot of fire roads, trails, do quite abit of hillclimbing and occasionally drag race with friends and family. Which of these atvs would be better for me? And also which one would take the front tires off the ground more easily?

Old 08-09-2003 | 01:19 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Cmon people please be helpful.

Old 08-09-2003 | 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'd have to say out of these 2 choices, get the 400. it handles way better, and is easier to maintain. And is way better for any technical riding or slower trails than a banshee. hillclimbing - a 400 can go up some alright hills, but the banshee will get you there faster. if the hill is gigantic, then the banshee is the better for that. but i cant say i would endorse a banshee for a beginner... the 400 isnt near as fast for dragging racing, but can be modded. The 400 is better for tracks. The banshee has the most hop up potential though.

However, let's change the choices from the "outdated" options you threw out:

Have you considered a z400 (more for trails) or a YF450 (more designed for racing; handles well, accelerates fast)? It depends on what type of riding you will be doing the most. For an all around bike, there is nothing better on the market than dvx/kfx/z400. Some would argue about the raptor, but i dont like the way it handles compared to these 400's. It does do wheelies very well, though.
Note that the YFZ is not a putt putt machine- it wants you to ride it hard. you will probalby not like it for just casual riding as the seat is "hard" and suspension is stiff - for racing pruposes. The seat is flat and firm which allows easier movement for manuevers and the suspension is "hard" because is designed to jump around on tracks with. The yfz has a more of a powerband, but you are probably used to that coming from a two-stroke dirtbike. The YFZ is not a beginner quad, though, and my impression is that you will be better off with something for trails.
Also, honda has finally released word that they will be making a trx450R. Supposed to be a 'race ready quad." You may want to see what that does. If they have truely derived the engine from the crf450, then it will be a kick butt bike. they need to address some reliabilty rebuild issues with it, so hopefully they did... In the dirtbikes, this engine also has a mellower powerband (than a yz450) but rips when you need it to. Alot of motocrossers like it because it doesnt prematurely tire you out. The reason i mention all this is that since it may be easier to ride, it may be a better choice for non experts to ride. But no one will know until it finally arrives, so we'll have to wait and see what they actually made and who would really benefit from it. If it really is a race ready bike though, then you can expect to do more mantenance on it than say a z400 or 400ex, though.

Old 08-10-2003 | 12:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I think im going to buy a banshee because i rode a 400ex and they dont accelerate anywhere near as fast.