Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Any advice on which quad to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003 | 04:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Any advice on which quad to get?

This summer, my wife was looking for a new quad. I was pushing her toward the rancher. She rode it and liked it. My brother bought a bombardier outlander 400. She rode that and thats what we bought. She is your size but not as aggressive. (impressive pics by the way) She loves it and so do I. The indepedant rear suspension is so nice on long trails. More power than the rancher, selectable 4wd, 3 year warranty, less money than the rancher at. Im not trying to put down honda, im a lifelong honda lover.

Old 12-13-2003 | 04:59 PM
Range Rover

Another thing. The 400 outlander will outdrag a polaris 500 sportsman.

Old 12-17-2003 | 01:11 AM
|
Pro Rider

Coyotechaser,

"Mine" is staying out of it! This will be the first time I really get to pick what I want and he wants me to be happy so it is totally up to me. Price doesn't really matter. It does, but if it's really what I want then I'm getting it.

Thanks, again, to everyone for their suggestions & advice!! I'm still deciding, it's kind of frustrating. I just want to make sure it's what I want.

Top heaviness shouldn't be a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Just proportionate.

Old 12-17-2003 | 01:26 AM
|
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention, I can't possibly have a quad without reverse. I'm really small and don't have all the muscle you guys do to turn the thing around. I've tried. As for the others, I guess I'm pretty reluctant to get rid of 4wd all together and go with a true sport quad?

Old 12-17-2003 | 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There aren't too many to choose from. Lets go through the list of 4x4's. Comparing 500cc and under to keep down weight. Arctic Cats- just too heavy to race. Bombardier- Possibly the Outlander 400 because of a higher top speed and IRS. Honda- Maybe the Rancher 350 or 400AT. The top speed just seems limited although they are reliable. (Look at how the top speed of the Rubi and 450 is so limited.) Kawasaki- The 360 is also too heavy for it's weight. Polaris- There's the Scrambler 500 but even that is heavy for a sport quad but slightly lighter than other utility 500's. Suzuki- Eiger 400(376cc) or Vinson 500(493cc) which is as heavy as some 650's. Yamaha- Kodiak 400 or 450(421cc) 551lb, Wolverine 350 fulltime 4x4 like the Rancher but it's the lightest of all the 4x4's. If you were going to go with a 650 to 700 then I'd buy a Prairie 700 first.

Now to complicate things. The quads I'd pick because of a lower weight and higher top speed.
1. Kodiak 450
2. Eiger 400
3. Kodiak 400
4. Outlander 400
5. Rancher 400AT (I'm just not sure about it's top speed.)
6. Scrambler 500
7. Wolverine (Rumors of a new Wolv coming)
(They aren't in any special order)

Old 12-17-2003 | 04:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey there, choices, choices, choices... I did the same thing before I bought. Check out atvtv.com . They do a great job of describing each ATV. Good with pros and cons. You'll learn a lot about each quad.

Good Luck

Old 12-20-2003 | 03:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ATVGurl, Have you decided on a quad yet or are you still looking?

Old 12-20-2003 | 03:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

yeah,
what you gettin??

Old 12-21-2003 | 01:11 AM
|
Pro Rider

YES, I am still looking. It is frustrating. If money were no object at all, I would have a custom machine built that is like a scrambler as far as having 2wd/4wd and would be sportier with a lot of travel and good suspension, but had a shaft drive, no belt or chain, lightweight, not too big, dependable, low maintenance, and it would hopefully be pretty speedy. I have not found the perfect fourwheeler for me yet so my dilemma is what to settle for. I still appreciate everyone's comments & advice. Thanks!!

Old 12-21-2003 | 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Look under the "Utility Quad" section, under "need help choosing a new quad" He currently has a Scramble 500 and hates it. Maybe you should write to him before you buy one.

I have an AT currently and like it. I'll give you the ups and downs of the bike.
UPS
1. It's a Honda
2. 2wd-4wd switch
3. Auto-esp shifting switch
4. Great front differential
5. Great ergonomics
6. Cool look
7. Great stability on hills
8. EBS,EBS,EBS. The EBS will crawl down a hill without touching the brakes at 3mph. Unbelievable how much it holds the bike back.

Downs of the bike
1. Rough at high speeds(although softer than an old rancher)
2. Just decent power, not explosive power
3. Cost, I could have bought an eiger(ugly) for $1300 cheaper or a vinson(decent) for $500 cheaper. Even a Rubicon for $20 cheaper.
4. Top Speed =54mph That was the 1st week I had it. I haven't checked it recently, and it is running alot stronger with 26 hours on it.

If you plan on racing an AT you better figure in money for a new rear shock. If I had to do over again I would be buying a red vinson. I haven't heard a bad thing about them. Well, maybe the 5 speed version, but not the auto version. I was raised in a Honda household and thought that was the only thing to buy. I now know that I will look at other manufacturers, as well as Honda, on my next purchase.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Any advice on which quad to get?