Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

taxes and registration

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taxes and registration

does anyone know if you have to pay taxes if you buy a atv from a different state?? i may travel to NY to buy mine and was wondering if i could get away with not paying some taxes.

also, does West Viriginia make you register your quad?? i know in PA you have to.

tia

Old 07-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you register your atv you have to pay taxes on it. Legally, if you do not pay sales tax in the state that you purchase an item, you are required to pay that sales tax to your home state via your yearly taxes. Basically, if you dont pay your taxes, you are breaking the law and you cant register the bike. Most of the time, an unregistered bike cannot be insured either, which is required in some states if you have an unsecured lean on the vehicle.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

ok. so you have to pay on a quad the same way you would have to pay on a car or street bike.

damn goverment has their fingers in everything.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2004, 11:57 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the laws vary from state to state. When I called (I live in Texas), the local tax collectors office told me if it didn't have a license plate, you were not required to pay the sales tax, only registration fees which were like $30.

I'd call and ask.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes an issue. If your home state finds out, they will send you a notice in the mail.

I am not paying mine unless I have to. I still have to contact my auto insurance carrier to get a quote on adding the quad. I think you can get an on-shore marine policy or something.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

When I bought my old quad the bank didnt require me to pay TTL either because of the lack of plates. O yeah Texas resident here too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]