Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Found a nice looking quad should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a nice looking quad should I buy?

hey all I found a nice quad for really cheap... its a 2000 Suzuki I honestly dont know what CC neither does the girl selling it it was her ex boyfriends and she dont ride it and she told me she would give it to me for 400$ and she told me it would need a new kick starter and probly a new sproket, theres no way to check to see if it run or not that I know of? she was saying you can pull the kickstarter down with 2 fingers and fell the compression and its cause of the kick starter... I on tho sounds kinda weary.. but its only 400$ could save me from paying high *** payments and I could just fix the problems with this 1 haha.

but if anybody knows any good info what to look for and how to get this thing running or anything of the sort please share id really like to know, im suposed to be calling her back soon about it kinnda need info!!

Old 08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Need more input. look for a motor vehicle plate on it, maybe on the neck. That will tell you year and model, maybe size too. The engine displacement is usually stamped in to the base of the jug(s). (Not the tranny case, that CC reading is oil capacity)

Turn it over with your fingers, but look for spark, or push start it. (You said bad sprocket, huh? See if it's good enough to push start it)

Old 08-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

kickstart usually means 2 stroke...hopefully you just found yourself an lt500! that'd be a sweet deal man

Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

the womman said it has low compression cause I can turn the starter with 2 fingers but she said it MAY be a tooth missing on the starter im not really sure, Im gonna go check it out today and try and push start it, LT500? thought they only made those in the late 80's? this is a 2000 from what she said, it needs a headlight she has to get that from her cousins house she said.

the bike itself dont have anything on it really just stripped yellow plastics and a blue or purple seat, it dont look like the average quad plastics most ive seen look different these look sorta like a round leaf shape, and its sitting right beside a Honda Rancher and looks a little bit smaller than it so Im guessing its probly just a 250, I didnt even get a really good look at it to be honest didnt sit on it I just went and left a note on it and I cant get much info out of this woman she really dont know. I didnt see no push button throttle, I looked for that so im guessin its a turn handle type.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

oOo I didn't see the 2000 part...I have no idea of what it could be

Old 08-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

Alrighty no more guessing pics are in the page to the left here, The engine is blue and it says 246CC or MM on it actualy IM not sure if thats it or not but take a quick look and tell me what you think it is and is it worth the 400?

sorry about that twist throttle its a push button my bad.

(BLAH its pending aproval dono how long that will take)

Old 08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

have to wait for it to be approved i got my 230 for 400 it came with weathered spidertracs with gold rims and holeshots with rims that were half used and the pipe it was a steal.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Alrighty I got the pics up now, and my mcanic buddy went and checked it out, this kick starter problem with it was... it had no compression therefor blown top end X_X and the back breaks wasnt the beast and the suspension felt really bouncy, What do you guys think I should do if I talked her down to 300$?

Hrmm I cant really find out the exact name of the quad or the year she says its a 2000 I dont belive it tho cause she didnt know crap about it... Hrmm and that means I wouldnt be able to order the piston and ring till I found out the clutch seemed to be hittin all the gears good tho.. I dono for sure might just hold out on it and find somthing better and newer for my first quad unless you guys think I should jump on it after seeing the pics and if its 1 of those nice older 1's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

that would be a lt 250r and no it is not a 2000 if the rim is a 4 bolt than it is either a 85 or 86 if it is a 5 than it is newer. if it was me i would see how low i could get her to go. i can get engine parts for cheap so i wouldnt have to worry about it. but for you does your buddy work at a shop because if he did he could get you the parts for cheap i would buy if i were you.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

He doesnt work at a shop, but hes been a backyard quad/dirtbike mcanic all his life and he knows what hes doing and he will fix it for free, all I have to worry about is the parts cost new piston and ring possibly top end, then breaks and probly somthing with the suspension.

Quick Reply: Found a nice looking quad should I buy?