Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Another Newbie, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie, sorry!

OK I am really confused! My hubby's buddy was like, "don't get an automatic under any conditions" but he thought he would definatley want a 4x4. Is a 4x4 manual a pain in the butt?

Old 11-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are three basic styles of tranny-

The CVT/auto- This is a snowmobile style tranny. Mostly found on utility quads.
Pros- You don't have to shift other than to choose forward/reverse/and possibly low range dependiing on model. This type of auto is very friendly to beginners and is less tiring for lllooooonnngggg days in the saddle. Many models have this style tranny, and the technology is pretty reliable at this stage.
Cons- Some are quirky, depending on model. Not as much control over engine RPM and power. Smaller engines not as efficient with this style.

Manual Clutch- The traditional motorcycle tranny(stick shift in a car) usually found on sport quads
Pros- Intimate control over the engine. Can be used to extract the absolute last bit of performance out of the quad. Easier to do wheelies, powerslides, etc. Can often easily change final drive ratios to alter powerband.

Cons- Steeper learning curve than others. Driveline needs more maintenance(Usually has a chain/sprocket combo to drive rear wheels)

Auto clutch- Sort of a hybrid of the other two. You will have to physically change the gears while riding, but there is no requirement to engage/disengage a clutch
Pros- More control over engine than a cvt, yet easier to learn than a manual clutch. Probably the least maintanence than anythiing else if equipped with shaft drive(most are)

Cons- Small selection of models available.

On a side note, good luck on your purchase. You can never do enough research, so ask all the questions you need.

Randy

Old 11-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much for the great explanation. I am leaning toward the Suzuki Ozark 250 for me and the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 for my husband. Both say they are 5-speed with automatic clutch so is that what you meant by the hybrid?

Heidi

Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that is what I meant. It isn't really a true cross between the two styles functionally, more overall operation. The Ozark is definately an auto clutch, the Eiger may be available as an auto clutch or with the cvt style tranny. Several Suzuki models can be had with either tranny. That sounds like a good setup. Wish my wife would "surprise" me like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Heidi,

If your willing to buy a used Ozark, I have one in good shape that I would be willing to sell you. Its an 03 with low hours, winch , aluminum belly and diff skid plates.

Chris

Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Heidi - Have you considered any of the two rider ATV's? I ended up selling the wifes ATV as riding together on the ArticCat TRV is a lot more fun for us. We ride a 2up touring sled also. Its all the fun with half of the work. Anytime I can get the old lady to put her arms around me and hang on is good enough for me.... lol

Old 11-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Lon
Trailblazer

Hi Heidi,

I'm new to this site too, but not new to atv's. I've read that your husband might like something sporty, but manual tranny. It sounds like you're leaning toward more of a sport-ute type ride. Have you taken a look at the Suzuki Vinson? It's a 500, definitely capable of just about any type riging you might try in your area. Also, if you're used to a snowmobile-type tranny, you may want to consider an automatic, such as the Eiger, 2 or 4 wheel drive verisions.

Another suggestion (this may have been mentioned already) - check out what your friends, and your husband's friends ride. It's a heck of alot easier getting comfortable with a new bike when riding with similar bikes (sport vs utility)... Good Luck, and at the end of the day, I'm sure it'll be fun no matter what you come home with. Great gift idea !

Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Heidi,

Hope I can help. The machines you picked are great and are the best in their class but trust me when I say you do not want to shift. Yes it's easy to do and yes you will get use to it but if you someone who is going to be mostly slow to medium speed trail riding enjoying the scenery you are NOT going to want to shift. Spend the extra money and get the Auto and you will be much happier. If you don't trust me ask the dealer if you could ride both.

Good luck and welcome to the world of ATVing.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Scooter 86 - Thanks for the clarification, that really helps!

S250 - Thanks for asking but I have to finance (unfortunatley) so I can't buy directly from you.

Whodatindamud - I wasn't even aware they made 2 people models but we both want to ride and I don't want to be a passenger so I think I need to buy us both one so we can do our own thing. Thanks though! :-)

Lon - I think most of our friends ride Ute's vs. Sport. I will look into the automatic with his buddies and see what they all ride.

Outrage - Thanks for your input as well! I am going down to look at them today.

I do have another question for you all. Price! I know what the MSRP is but should I pay that? My only experience is buying cars and you don't pay that when you buy a car so I wasn't sure. I was also told by friends not to pay for freight and set up. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks again for everyone's help, I am so excited about this, my husband is going to s**t his pants Christmas morning! That is if I can keep it a secret that long!

Heidi [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Consider setup to be part of the out-the-door price as with tax and registration. Some dealers add a setup fee to their bottom price, some include the setup in the price and some just put it in the quote to see if you bite or not. Shop around as sometimes a 50 mile drive can save hundreds of bucks.

Setup is really important. Done half-assed it only leads to problems soon after delivery. Loose bolts, battery not serviced, tires not inflated correctly, winches missing mounting bolts etc. If a dealer is doing a good job and has a qualified mechanic doing the work of getting the machine ready then he should get paid for it. If its the 15 year old kid who dropped out of high school and is working for $8 and hour sweeping the shop floor and doing setups, you might want to find another dealer. You have every right to ask who will be doing the setup and if they are certified by the manufacturer.

Pricing can vary hundreds of dollars from dealer to dealer. Shop around. The smaller dealers around here are always lower in price as they don't have the overhead. And they don't have the backlogs for service either. The smaller shops may be more flexable to help Santa make those new ATV's show up in the front yard on Christmas morning. (locked with a big big chain and lock)

Good luck -

P.S. Call my wife would ya? I need a new two seater biplane from Santa and I've been really really good. You have the Spirit for these Christmas surprises - maybe it will rub off....

Edit PP.SS. Shifting a utility quad sucks. I've never seen anyone go from a auto to a manual machine. Auto is prefered once they drive one.

Quick Reply: Another Newbie, sorry!