Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Aways Ask The Pros.. They say..

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aways Ask The Pros.. They say..

Here goes... I'm not telling my age, but I flew Navy jets during the Koreran war from aircraft carriers.. But the old body still feel young, and young at heart.

I have been seriously looking to buy a ATV. Wife and I live here in southeast Kansas on a few hundred acres, and I have been using my old 1949 Fordf 8N tractor to beat around the ranch.. I think it's time to go modern, and get me one of those fancy ATV's.

The main factor for the use of a ATV will be to cover the land, we don't have any mountains to climb. We do have some hills, and they may be only 50 feet high, but nothing rugged. May want to buy some accessories like a snow blade, plow to do the garden, and hook a trailer on it to haul items. So the ATV would have to be in the "Utility" class.

Now what I need from you pros here, is you would recommend. I like the Honda's, Yamaha's, but subject to other brands.

So let's hear from you guys.. Sell me a ATV...

Thanks.

Old Navyjock.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I say...one of the Kawasaki Prarie models...or a Kawasaki Brute Force, but those can be pricey...so what's your price range?

Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Range Rover

for the work you will be doing, a 400+cc engine is necessary. a locking differential would be a big help in the snow. as far as towing and hauling a heavy load, a solid rear axle is going to sag less compared to an atv with independent rear suspension. overall i don't think it will adversely affect the work capability though. so with that said, the choices are: yamaha kodiak 450, yamaha grizzly, kawasaki prairie 700, kawaski brute force, suzuki king quad, honda rincon. of course,it all depends on your budget and what dealer is the closest. go and sit on these models and pick one that feels comfortable. test ride them and compare the features. they all have different characteristics.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank guys for the information.. Good work..

In searching the brands on the web, my first choice is the Yamaha Kodiak 450, followed by Honda Fourtrax Rancher AT, and Bombardier Traxter Max (2) Seater.

I think I can stay in the $6000 range, with some discount. I hear of all the hidden fees, and have been told to buy "not out the door price." Don't know what that consists of..

Old 12-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

out of those machines i would go with the kodiak because of the locking differential and low gear for towing/pushing. the rancher doesn't have a low gear or a locker. unfortunately i cannot comment on the bombardier since i don't know much about them.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

when you go to the various stealerships, ask them the OTD, Out the door price. (make sure you specify that this includes EVERYTHING.... i have said what is otd to some dealerships for them to shoot me a number, than say ok add about 500 to that for setup...lol)

the yamaha line is very strong. I have ridden the kodiak 400 and it was a smooth comfortable ride. My friend also has two grizzly 660's, they too have plenty of power and are very comfortable.

if you are doing that much utilitarian work, i would definatly suggest finding a model with a locking differential as already mentioned. (it makes a REALLY big difference on my friends grizzlies)

Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heya Skeeterman,

i'd probably give you all the money i have been saving for a new ATV for a ride being sling-shot off a carrier in a jet. but, being shot at would change my eagerness fast.

first off let me start by say my opinion is meaningless because i haven't ridden an ATV since 1992, and that was a 1988 model. But i have done a bunch of research in the past 3 months, and might be able to give you a little insight..

if you want to take a rider, be legal and safe then you almost need the 2 seater. but if not then i would pass on the bombardier. why? Bombardier is made in Montreal, and i have a couple good Quebec friends who say they wouldn't buy one. in Canada the Bombardier is a lot cheaper than other brands because of tariffs.

i would also pass on the Brute Force. From your post it seems you have done little or no ATV riding. it's big and top heavy and maybe not the best choice for a first time rider. I'm passing because it's an all new machine with lots of new parts. the only way i would buy one is with an extended warranty, and i don't do extended warranties.

after that it's a tough call. i hear both good and bad about all other machines mentioned. one with a locking differnetial would be a big plus. (note, even though i don't think the Brute Force is a good idea, the Prairie might still be a machine for you). Any reason why you passed up the Polaris? they're costly and heavy, but for your uses the weight might be an advantage, not to mentioned they're made in the USA.

also do a little local research too. sit on all the machines you can, and try to find someone to let you do some test rides.ask lots of questions, today machines are pretty much equal so something as trivial as what dealership has the best mechanic could be the deciding factor.

good luck choosing,

Joe

btw- after 3 months i'm still pretty much undecided, but i'm really looking forward to seeing the 2005 Honda Rubicon, just wish it had a locker. I'm looking for a machine that's good at various speed trail riding, can handle water well (will be riding lots of river beds and boulder fields), and has good stump pulling power (i might be able to get around this with a good winch).

Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Joe; it's mighty good of you to give that good report.. I have spent better part of today on the "search" of ATV's.. I have taken a keep eye to the Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 329cc Air cooled engine. . It has a P/R/N/L/H transmission- Automatic PVT. But it doeasn't sate anything about a "locking" in gear feature.. Or does it?

Also there is the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. with 499cc, Liguid cooled engine. and same setup in transmission.

However, I keep looking at the Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 with Automatic , 421cc liquid cooled.

But number 1. best looker is the Honda FourTrax Foreman ES, 433cc. With ESP five-speed with reverse. Would the drive with TraxLox front and rear be the Locking feature you speak of?

The Bombardier Traxter is a 2 seater, with a price as high as my Yamaha 150hp Outboard on my Bass Boat. Too much price to ride around the ranch. Might as well buy a Hummer and enjoy it about the same..

Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Roost; I have heard so many stories about what these dealer guys do when a person buys a ATV. That is with the many "extra" fees after you make the deal to buy the machine.. There is a person that has a web site, telling all the details on this, and how to avoid these fees.

He explains, get the OTD price before making the deal on the ATV.

Sir, I thank you for the good information..

Skeeter.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

here is what i just researched and posted on another thread for a guy.

Model Dry Weight MSRP

2005 sportsman 500 HO ; ; ; ; ; ; ; 715 msrp 6699
2005 sportsman 400 - - - - - - - - - 715!! msrp 5999***
2005 magnum 330 ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; 637 - msrp 5249 ***
2005 kodiak 450 - - - - - - - - - - 591 - msrp 6,199
2005 Big Bear 400 ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; 556 - msrp 5199
2005 kodiak 400 - - - - - - - - - - 578 -msrp 5799
2005 bruin 350 -; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;538 - msrp 4999
2005 rancher 350 - - - - - - - - - - 524- msrp 4999***

those are some of the lower models (dont have the grizz/rincon/vinson and the other big guns)

im still totally ANTI polaris... (preadator and sportsman seem to be ok...but sportsman is heavier than hell, and predator, well i dunno im just not comfortable with the ergos at all...the rest of the line up i feel is too risky, i havnt seen one that runs for more than 6 months without somthing going out.) polaris does make a good sled tho [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Aways Ask The Pros.. They say..