Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First ATV

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
TX
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ATV

I will be buying a quad that will be 75% utility and 25% trail/fun use. I'm thinking about a big bore that can handle some serious work. Have two questions. First, will these actuallly plow compacted dirt, or are they more for snow and sand type work? I would think the weight of the machines would be a limiting factor here. Secondly, I'm seriously considering a Grizzly 660, but keep reading posts concerning reliability and heat issues. Would I be better off with a Honda?
Thanks for your input.
Eric

Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Range Rover
Default First ATV

First -- Plowing loose material is the best material to move. I've never tried compacted dirt but I would guess that weight and traction will severely limit you.

Second -- Reliability issues are argued all the time on here and everyone defends their favorite brand. For every negative post, I would guess that there are a thousand happy users that never post. Test drive is important. Dealer support especially service quality is very important.

Third -- From your useage requirements, you need a 4 wheel drive model with good power. Make sure it is simple to shift from forward to reverse and back since plowing requires a lot of backing up.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV

And you might want to consider buying one with a manual transmission if you are going to be doing some hard pulling like plowing. You cant go wrong with a big bear or a foreman 450. both of them have good power and pretty good on the trails.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV

I'd look at the polaris and bombardier big bores. They are both really heavy duty bikes. They out weigh the other big bores by around 200 lbs. I still doubt you will be able to push much dirt with either. Sounds kinda like you want a quad but you need a small tractor with a blade. I don't blame you though, I'd probably come up with an idea like that myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV

I'd look at the polaris and bombardier big bores. They are both really heavy duty bikes. They out weigh the other big bores by around 200 lbs. I still doubt you will be able to push much dirt with either. Sounds kinda like you want a quad but you need a small tractor with a blade. I don't blame you though, I'd probably come up with an idea like that myself
i agree with Madwolverine

Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 PM
TX
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV

Thanks to everyone for the advice on first time quad. Sounds like plowing true dirt/soil is a bad idea, but will still be using it to pull trailer with cut timber, as well as some other heavy duty stuff. Looking forward to the work as well as some play. Anyone in Texas have any favorite trails in East Tx. or Ok. or Arkansas?
Eric

Old 02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default First ATV

I've got a 300 honda 4x4 and I have pushed quite a bit of dirt with it (48" cycle country blade). Admittedly, most of the time I would break the dirt up with a harrow, but I never really had too much of a problem.. until I tried to push a large pile of dirt. After a couple tries I hit it with a little speed and tore the rear shock in two (not the best idea). I just bought a 500 foreman 4x4. The weight advantage would be a big help and it is built noticeable heavier than my 300. I haven't plowed any dirt with it (nobody makes a blade mounting kit yet) but if was just small jobs I wouldn't think twice about it. I have heard that automatics aren't as good for heavy work as manual transmission bikes, but I have yet to witness it.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV

Get a powerfull quad. Maybe a grizzly? Brute force?

Old 02-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default First ATV

Originally posted by: TX
I will be buying a quad that will be 75% utility and 25% trail/fun use. I'm thinking about a big bore that can handle some serious work. Have two questions. First, will these actuallly plow compacted dirt, or are they more for snow and sand type work? I would think the weight of the machines would be a limiting factor here. Secondly, I'm seriously considering a Grizzly 660, but keep reading posts concerning reliability and heat issues. Would I be better off with a Honda?
Thanks for your input.
Eric
Actually, Autos with low range are a great way to go. Most who switch - switch from manual to autos. Can't remember hearing of someone switching from a auto to a manual. I've pushed a lot of snow plowing a mile or more of roads with the 500 Polaris when it snows and know to which I speak.
And - yes you can move dirt around, You don't want the 60 inch blade but the 48 inch works best. I've done
driveways with gravel using it. Worked better than the loader bucket on the tractor. A neighbor guy has a 3point rig with a blade that does real well also.

I have Arctic Cat, Honda and Polaris. The Cats are the biggest most heavy duty work units and are likely the least "sporty" for speed and agility. I like all the plug in tools for the Cat MRP rack system. The Polaris is a great all around unit and the Hondas are first class but for the extra money - Id' say Polaris.
The Polaris 700 has about as much power you can imagine. My 500 is all I will ever need. And I know power (Pitts pilot)

I don't care for the Grizz as my friends have about 800% more trouble with them then the other quads. Not here to argue just stateing the facts as I know them. Your milage may vary and thats fine.

We have a couple of two rider Cat TRV's as my wife enjoys trail riding with me rather then driving her own quad -- and we have another so that other couples can try it out also. We have a huge amount of fun doing this. See the pics.

Good luck in choosing.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default First ATV

I think that if you have the money, you should buy the polaris 800 EFI. one of my friends has one and it has plenty of power. and it is actually a fast machine which will actually hold its own against a stock pred