Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Have rancher 400At, but need more. Rubicon? Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:56 PM
ZED
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have rancher 400At, but need more. Rubicon? Kodiak?

I have a rancher At and really liked the hondamatic for trail ride with family. Now when it comes to packing out elk & deer or riding in the really steep mountains or climbing in snow around here i need more. The tranny just won't pull me through when i need it. In esp it is ok, but alot of times where we ride you have to creep along a side hill ( hanging off the side so ya don't roll) and then punch it to climb out top of revine. So foot shifter or esp does not work for me. I wish it had a low range. So now wife is taking over the 400 AT, and i going to buy something more suited for my style of riding.

How is the ride on the 05 rubicon? Do they have alot more power then 400 AT? I was also looking at mabye kodiak 450, but doent know if irs will work well on steep side hills. I'm 6'4' 240lbs, but like mid sized atv's so i can get around in all the tight spots we ride. We ride are atv just like are mtn sleds. We side hill from point to point. Would like more ground clearence, but knoe if irs is the answer.

Was thinking rubicon with 26" Atr's on stock rims might be the way to go. If a little more umf was needed mabye a pipe. I have not got to ride new rubion or kodiak yet because dealer does not have them set up yet. Still to much snow up where dealers at.

Any advice you could give would be great.