Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility or Sport??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility or Sport??

Hi.. this is my first post here on the forum... im stuck between choosing a utility quad or a sport quad... one or the other, not both.. Here are the general parts of what I do riding a quad....
1. Love the mud and bog..
2. love doin wheelies..
3. likes to hit ramps... gettin into that this year...
3. love riding in the sand and goin sideways around turns...
The thing about a sport quad is that I cant really do that well in the bog and mud... and with a utility i cant really do good wheelies and hit ramps... both are equally important where I live but I think I would rather mud and bog over ramp and suck but I need to be able to do a good wheelie.... like be able to stand up at about 20 kph and put some body english into it and pull a nice wheelie for a couple of hundred feet or do... The longest I have ever gone was 254 feet on my friends 300ex... so that wasnt bad for a stand up wheelie in 4th gear pinned.... so thats what im basically looking into doing with either quad I get no matter if its a sport quad or a utility... If you have any opinions please let me know... These are the quads I have been looking at so far..
1. Raptor 660
2. Z400
3. 400 ex
4. Grizzley 660
5. Brute force 650... and pretty much any other quads in that area not exceeding 700 cc...

please help me with my decision I need a quad for the summer....

Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brute force 650 def.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK.. so im going to make it a little more simple on what I want in my next quad.... I want something good in the mud and bog... something easy to wheelie for short and if possible long distances... good suspension able to take a good amount of ramp like say 10++ feet.... and it has to be fun to drive..

Anyone have any info on the king quad 700?? or the vinson?? and how about a grizzley?? are all these machines easy to wheelie?? I need a machine that can wheelie good!!! Thanks...

Old 03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey ADMIRAL. Why don't you look at the Polaris Scrmbler. It has 4 whel drive, looks and handles much like a sports quad. For jumping and the bumps, it has more suspension travel than any of the quads you listed in the rear and the Raptor and Z400 only beat it by 1/2 inch in the front.
I hope this helps you
BryceGTX

Old 03-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Having the best of both worlds is hard to find. You almost need both a ute and a sport. What kind of mudding are you looking at? Some of the sporty machines are capable of ripping over the mud, but if you sink the rear, your done. I would say get the sport bike, unless you want to use it for working. The sports will out run the utes in the straights, give you the ability to ride wheelies forever, great for jumping, and for just playing around. The sports will not go EVERYWHERE the utes will. Creeks, and rivers come to mind. I cant think of any ute that would let you jump 10+ feet without bottoming out everytime. Not to mention the comfort factor the sport gives you while in the air and on the ground. The big CC utes will wheelie no problem. Hell I can even wheelie my 400 Big bear. I just sit still, put it in second, hammer on the throttle and pull back with all I got, she comes up just fine, the only problem is I cant ride it through the gears very well and I cant pull one while moving, without a bump or incline. I think the bigger CC utes will allow you to wheelie at moving speeds. Tough choice, and if I had to do it all over I would have bought a Raptor, or sumpin similar. Now I'am gunna have two quads.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Hey ADMIRAL. Why don't you look at the Polaris Scrmbler. It has 4 whel drive, looks and handles much like a sports quad. For jumping and the bumps, it has more suspension travel than any of the quads you listed in the rear and the Raptor and Z400 only beat it by 1/2 inch in the front.
I hope this helps you
BryceGTX

I'd have to agree with BryceGTX - you should look at the Polaris line. Kind of the "best of both worlds" ATV in my opinion if that's what you want.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Is the Scambler able to wheelie like he wants it to? Isn't it kind of heavy to be hitting 10' jumps? I dunno much about em. Are they able to shift out of 4x4 into 2x4? I know there are lots of mods for them.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks MrDumass.... I think I am going to go with a Raptor or a Z400.... they can wheelie really good like I want it to and are pretty decent in the mud as what one of my dads buddies told me... Will bigger tires help the Raptor or Z400 in the mud a little better??? Like say bear claws or there one called a Spider trac I think???? How about skid plates?? Ive heard from a couple of my friends that skidplates help with flotation in the mud so it dosent sink as fast... is this true??
Oh yeah and thanks but no thanks my family has had a couple of bad experiences with polaris quads...
Thanks guys with all the imput... its really helping my decision..

Old 03-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

I have narrowed my next quad down to the Raptor. It just fits me better than the others. Some mud-lites or some bear claws would prolly help in the mud pretty good. I've heard the same thing about the skid plates helping float it along. One drawback to the skids are they collect debris and mud, which isn't a big deal to me. I to had problems with Polaris, but others seem to like them.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

If you are really into the wheelies and jumps, that pretty much rules out the utilitys. The utilitys are not going to handle the ramps and really high jumps for very long.

You might want to look at the KFX 700 ( V-Force ) You can wheelie that and still have some ground clearance for the mud, because of the shaft drive.

Also, the Brute Force 750 will wheelie pretty good but I woudn't want to go off any 10ft tall ramps with it.

You are really between a rock and a hard place for all you want to do. You really need a sport quad and a 4WD to do all of that. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Utility or Sport??