Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buyin an atv for kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyin an atv for kids

What is the best quad to buy for a 5 year old and a 7 year old girl. Which make is more reliable for the guy who knows nothing about fixing them yet wants something that has power?

Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am looking at an lem 50 cayman or condor and or a kymco mongoose 50 or anything else if you think they are too cheap or not reliable.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you don't want to fix it, then I would place a high priority on having a good local dealer to provide service. The general consensus seems to be that Dinli, E-ton, and Kasea all make decent quads. Your kids could ride a 70, as the CPSC recommendation is for under 80cc fro kids under 12 I believe.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for the advice and taking the time to respond

Old 11-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I like the Bombardier quads for kids. My son started with a DS 50 (it's for sale) and 5 years old. My 8 year old daughter still rides the DS90. We just got an ETON 90 for my son who's now 7. He just grew out of the DS50. It has speed limitations on it so it's great for a beginner.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have much use for the Taiwanese/Chinese machines. I watch my friends try to get theirs running, while my kids are out riding their Hondas.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you'll find that most people who actually own a "no-name" are quite happy with them considering the lower prices and additional features. Year and a half and I've had no problems that weren't self-induced on mine. If you aren't mechanically inclined though, a good local dealer should be your number one priority imo.

What type of terrain would help narrow the choices? And what do the local guys sell?

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

At these ages, and assuming both children are novices, I'd say your riding is going to be limited to the back yard for quite a while. Hopefully a flat yard. Dont' expect great things from anything in the 50cc class.. which according to the CPSC guidelines, the machines are limited to 10 MPH I think. Watch them like a hawk, and don't let the ATV be a baby sitter and NEVER let them ride two up.. Even though they are small, they are just as dangerous as the big machines. They can and will hurt, maime and unfortunately kill a child if not shown the proper respect by child and parent.

Just about any of the machines out there are going to be OK for your initial riding lessons. Safety gear and most importantly patience will be your biggest tools. Dont' expect the child to ride for long periends of time in the beginning. 5 minutes may be all they can handle at first..

Some will say the off brands have issues, and that is true. The companies are getting better at providing repair parts, competent service etc. They do not always stack up well against a major brand.. and if that is a decision factor, then by all means go the major brand route. You need to go in a direction you are comfortable with.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get the 06 trx90 or the rappy 80 dont get geniric brands PLEASText[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] the 90 preety good though i know someone who just got one

Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I beleive one of the bigest issues with the 50 cc class is managing expectations. I want everyone to remember that they are learning machines first and formost.. and they will NOT keep up with larger more full sized machines anywhere, but especially on a trail or in sand. They are well suited for putting around the back yard, or around the tow vehicle/camper while big brother and Dad go riding on trails... (Now please don't go all feminist on me, I am just making a point) Let the child learn teh basics and grow in confidence, then tranistion them to something larger.

Take that 50 and sell it, or consider donating it to a local training instructor to use for their training classes. I can attest that almost every class will have a sibling tag along when brother or sister is taking the training course, and 9 times out of 10, the parent will ask if it is OK for them to ride. The problem is that in the classes, every rider must have their own machine... they can't be shared because of time constraints. Having an extra machine can reall save the day for all concerned. Also, understand that the ASI riding course follows the CPSC age guidelines to the letter. Don't be disapointed when they tell you that a 6 year old cannot take the course on a 90 CC machine.

Quick Reply: Buyin an atv for kids