Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

can a yfz be turned into a xc/ trail machine and is it reliable in real ruff stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a yfz be turned into a xc/ trail machine and is it reliable in real ruff stuff.

Need help deciding on my next quad. I've have alot of experience on quads and used to race motocross. I am 5'9 and 165ibs. I have a totally modified quad racer which is pretty quick but just doesn’t cut it any more. I love 2-stroke power but need more reliability and much better suspension. I do alot off trail some times day long runs threw ruff and mud any anything else in the path lots off open full out speed for long distance too. I also race off road and want to get serious about it and maybe start some xc. I ride track once and a wile.

MY question is what would be the ultimate quad for my riding. I was thinking maybe a yfz with some serious skid plates and suspension revalve for softer ride with maybe a new seat and a twist throttle but id like ur opinions I like the 2 stroke feeling of the yfz but my other choices are maybe a pred , Raptor z400 with a 450 kit . RELIABILITY is key and I'm on a budget so the quads im looking at are not new slightly used so if the year matters tell me wich ones are best. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default can a yfz be turned into a xc/ trail machine and is it reliable in real ruff stuff.

Yikes man, you need three different quads for all that kind of riding....LOL...J/K. If you want just the best quad for mx racing and track, get the YFZ. If you want a great trail bike that fairly inexpensive, get a Z400. For those all day rides you're looking at the DS650. If you want something that is well suited to all those conditions, get the Predator.

Welcome to the forums BTW...

Old 01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Webopper said, plus maybe a 700R Rappy if you can come up with the money. I would also consider a 450R if I was going to ride XC and wide open areas.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys but I think the new 700 is just a littel out of range but a used 450r is an intresting idea. Any one out there ride alot of trails on the new honda Id like any info on how reliable it is.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 450r with the HRC kit and a 13t front sprocket. All I have ever ridden are trails. Honestly, you would probably be happier with something else.........the power is great, but it doesnt do well in tight trails IMO. No reverse kinda sucks, but its light enough you can pick it up when needed. Mine pulls pretty hard, and goes anywhere, and does anything I am brave enough to attempt. But then again, Im not a really really aggresive rider. Dont really know how it stacks up to the others cause I havent ridden the YFZ or newer Raptor. Where you at? Mine's for sale in the cycletrader magazine. As a footnote, Im selling mine to buy a utility quad which is more suited to the type of riding in my area. Plus the 450r isnt very friendly when playing with the rest of the family( Wife and Kids ). If your close to me, your more than welcome to come by and ride mine.......thats the only way you will ever know!!

Rhino

Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im close to montreal , Canada quite a ways from u but thanks for the offer anyways. Theres some great people on this site.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have narrowed it down to three quads a z 400 with a 450 kit raptor 660 moded lowered a bit with extended axel and a arms or a predator with slite motor mods. I would like to know if anyone has experience on a predator and how reliable it is. I would also like to know how reliable u guys think a z400 would be after a 450 kit. I was thinking maby the kit from max-power.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: chevy67
i have narrowed it down to three quads a z 400 with a 450 kit raptor 660 moded lowered a bit with extended axel and a arms or a predator with slite motor mods. I would like to know if anyone has experience on a predator and how reliable it is. I would also like to know how reliable u guys think a z400 would be after a 450 kit. I was thinking maby the kit from max-power.
I've had my preddy now for a while and have had no problems with it at all. I think the 660 is also a pretty reliable machine. I'd be more hesitant on the z with the 450 kit in it...that's just me though.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 660 and all i do is trail ride. (dry wash beds, forest roads, and really nasty desert trails) and i love it and wouldn't ask for anything different. never had a reliability problem and it goes far on one tank of gas (for a sport quad) just get some tough skid plates (they work wonders) and 6 ply tires. thats my 2 pennies anyways.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a z400, love it. The reason i bought it was because it seemed to be the best all around quad. I ride mx, trails, and open areas. I ride with a z250, a ds650, and a warrior. I can ride with the z and the warrior on tight trails with easy reverse, where the ds tends to be difficult. I beat all of them on the mx track. The only place i get beat is in open areas by the ds. Only place you will get beat is open areas, but not even by much. I stayed away from the predator because it was heavy, and the 400ex because the z is basically a updated version of it. I would say ride it before you get the 450 kit and you may be surpirsed. I haven't put anything on mine yet, but i hear they respond well to mods. If you put pipe and air filter and jet, you should be good enough for non competition riding. It is much more comfortable than the 450's imo, and a great all around quad. Had it 3 months now, and wouldn't trade it for anything except a mod'd version. Good luck.