Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need info for Meerkat 50 / 6 yr. old

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info for Meerkat 50 / 6 yr. old

I am new to this so please have patience. I am looking to buy my 6 yr. old (soon to be on the 25th) a small ATV. I have done hours of research on the computer and I have come to my "almost final" decision. I think I am going with the Meerkat 50. He has been riding the Power Wheels since he was itty bitty and does extremely well. He has good control and understands all of the controls, turns, etc. His brother is 8 and has a 50. He is awesome with his!!! Does anyone have any positive or negative comments and/or suggestions regarding this one? Also, does anyone have any info on Raceway ATV; High RPM Racer; or Kid ATVs. I am considering purchasing from them. Thanks for any help you may offer!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Going from what I have read on here, Raceway would be the one I would deal with if I was in the market for an atv such as the Meerkat or other Chinese brands. I myself spent more cash and bought a Honda 90 for my son, something he will grow with and that will have a good resale value when he graduates to a larger atv.

He also honed his skills on a Powerwheels atv that was given to him when he was three. He's seven now and will be eight in May and drives this 90 like it was an extension of his body.
I realize that funds are a problem when buying a small atv for some but like I stated above...deal with Raceway. They come highly reccomended.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, ddrumman. My husband and I actually have looked into the Honda's. I had one when I was growing up and those things are AWESOME!!! We wanted to try to get into this thing slowly and inexpensively until we find out what both boys like and want. My 8 yr. old (who has the new Razor dirt bike, which by the way is very cool) is turning 9 in August and I think he will stick with the dirt bikes, then we will probably graduate him to the Honda. Once he sees the quad that his little brother is about to get, he may change his mind though. I bought the mini 90 because size-wize it was the same as the 70. I figured he can grow into it and since he handles them rather well, he would be able to ride it okay. He isn't a speed demon like my oldest and I will make sure he is careful with it. We'll have the speed restricted for a long while, I'm sure. I would like to eventually get one myself and my husband is already talking about getting himself the Honda 350 so I'm looking forward to a lot of fun developing here. I'm just an 'ole country girl that grew up like a tomboy so I'll be riding all of them myself......until I get my own, of course!! Thanks again and welcome!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did end up purchasing from Raceway. Now I'm just waiting for the shipment.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Your welcome!

My 7 year old has expressed interest in a dirt bike but heck, he can't even ride a bicycle! He has Asperger's Disorder and I was really leery about buying him an atv at all but I promised him one after the fiasco of buying a used Honda 125 that had been sitting for 8 years from a so called "friend" of my girlfriend. I sold that thing and bought him the new Honda.

He really surprised me and my girlfriend in his ability to drive and handle the atv. I have the throttle restricted so that top speed is about 15 mph and he now shifts the quad up and down through the gears after a few months of riding.
We have access to 230 acres of land to ride on that belongs to my g/f's mom and we all ride together on weekends, weather permitting. My g/f is also a 'country gal' and she drives straight into a mudhole without batting an eye on her Bruin.
Riding the atv's is one of the things we all can do as a "family" and we love it. We don't compete in any way at all, just ride the trails through the woods and make our own if there isn't any.

You and your hubby need to get in on the sport of riding atv's. You will enjoy it!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

I had bought a kazuma 50 of ebay about 2 years ago I was very impressed what I got for such little money it is a very nice quad the only problem I had was I screwed the gas cap to tight and broke it but got a replacement fast. It is not a honda but lasted long enough for a starter quad I have sold it for what I paid for it and now bought my son a honda 50 bike to learn how to balance