Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help me pick one....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick one....

I am looking to buy a new ATV. My main use would be working around my hilly wooded land. I need something that would haul cut wood and other stuff like stone and general land work. I have looked at the Rhino and then saw the Cub Cadet. I am new to riding as I have only been on a Rancher a few years back.

I would need help in finding a dealer who would give me a deal on buying one with a winch and plow package. I will be moving down near Bedford Indiana.

Any help would be great for this newbie.

Shipper

Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a really big fan of the Artic Cat TBX. Its built for exactly what your proposing. Its extra long wheel base helps keep the front tires on the ground going up steep hills and the dump box is spot-on for hauling. It also uses the MRP Speed Rack accesories that allow you to mount a catelog of equipment onto the ATV so you can provision it for what your using it for. Any Arctic Cat dealer in your area would be glad to set you up with plows etc. AC has deals on winch's now also so that is again a good match for your needs.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

So, are you looking for an atv that has a small utility bed on the back or are you looking for a full blown utility style machine, like the Rhino? If you're looking for the utility vehicle, then the Polaris Ranger has the best work oriented design. The Rhino is more sport oriented, the kubota is great, as it is diesel, but it's pricey! The AC is more along the line of the rhino, more sporty and smaller bed. The Kawasaki Mule is also a good choice, but it is not efi like the ranger, however, they too offer it in diesel also. The mule 4x4 diesel is about the same price as the ranger xp 700cc efi. The ranger will be faster and more fun to ride than the mule. It will also work nearly as hard, but will be a better trail/mud machine if you decided to take it that route, not to mention it looks better.

So, if you're looking for a utility vehicle to do a little work, but mostly for recreation, I'd suggest the rhino.
If you're looking for something to work hard, no play, I'd suggest the mule diesel.
If you're looking for something to do it all relatively well in one package, I'd suggest the ranger xp 700 efi.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the tbx and was even given an out the door price here in Indiana of $8300 with plow and winch installed.

I guess what I am looking for is a work and then play ride. I am retired and will be moving very soon down to southern Indiana. The land I have will mean I need a work type of atv and if I can play a bit that would be good also. My new land is very hilly and wooded and has trees on the ground that need cut and hauled for firewood.

There is a small river or stream within about a mile or so and its supposed to have good smallmouth fishing and I would like to be able to ride down to fish once in a while and not worry about getting stuck.

Price is very important as I am on a pension and money is a concern. So any futher help is very much appreciated.

Shipper[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

So you are NOT looking for a utility style vehicle like the rhino and cub cadet you first mentioned? Then, you are looking for an atv with a small work bed on the back? These are very different machines. Please clarify, for me, which you are interested in.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: ppope
So you are NOT looking for a utility style vehicle like the rhino and cub cadet you first mentioned? Then, you are looking for an atv with a small work bed on the back? These are very different machines. Please clarify, for me, which you are interested in.
I guess I am not being clear here. I am not sure if I can afford the rhino. The cub cadet is too slow from what the salesman said. I do want a atv with a dump bed so I can haul wood and other stuff. I would be the only rider 99% of the time, so do I want the rhino and the cost?

I hope this clears my post up a little.

Shipper

Old 02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I dunno where your shopping but I just looked at a new $6000 TBX 400 today. Plow and Winch shouldnt bring that past $7000. Still a lot of money but if you take care of it - you shouldn't ever need anything else. My dad got 26 years out of his Honda 3 wheeler. Cats are just as good as that.

Hilly country deserves some consideration as you don't want much of a rear load on ANY of these units while going up steep hills. I've towed a small trailer through the woods and that was much better then loading down the quad.
Although I do load it down pretty well - see my hunting setup pic by clicking on the camera to the left of this post.

I struggle with any of the big Utility machines because you can buy a pretty nice Jeep Wrangler for the same money and that has more utility - being street/freeway legal and all. They can climb a hill and not go over backwards as easy as a ATV can with some weight on the back.

Both Polaris and Cat make a quad that you can switch between big rear box or a rear passenger seat. Thats great for giving rides. But I still hold out hope for a TBX in my future. The people who own them are very very happy with them.
They can carry a huge load and are the same machine as the TRV or 500i basically. Great for trail riding etc. The TBX is a very functional ATV in my opinion.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

The price I got was from my local dealer here in Northwest Indiana. He had me at $8971.55 out the door till I went back and he came down to $8300 total. I liked the idea of the TBX till I rode a rhino. Now I just looked at the Polaris Ranger and I am more confused than ever. I didnt know there were so many utility types out there. I did look at the Kubota and its way out of my price range.

The hill I am talking about is lets say 20-30 degrees? I own 7 acres and most of its trees. I am not going to be racing up and down it by any means. But I am a big guy I guess? about 265 and would need power to carry the wood and my big butt.

Does anyone have a dealer near southern Indiana or Kentucky who deals?

Shipper

Old 02-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, if you're not looking for a full utility vehicle, like the rhino/mule/ranger/Arctic Cat Prowler, but rather an atv with a bed then your options are more limited to 2 that i know of.

There is the Polaris X2
The polaris has more fuel capacity, it is efi, has 2wd/4wd/and turf mode to keep from tearing up your lawn. It also has more suspension travel, more cc's and more storage than the Arctic Cat. It also comes with the world reknown Fuji Heavy Industries engine, that is bulletproof! it is a great machine.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...n/SportsmanX2/

There is the Cat TBX
It lacks all the specs I mentioned above that the Polaris has, and comes with a suzuki engine and is also a great machine.

http://www.arcticcat.com/atvs/lineup...16&s=121&m=718

Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ppope
Ok, if you're not looking for a full utility vehicle, like the rhino/mule/ranger/Arctic Cat Prowler, but rather an atv with a bed then your options are more limited to 2 that i know of. The polaris has more fuel capacity, it is efi, has 2wd/4wd/and turf mode to keep from tearing up your lawn. It also has more suspension travel, more cc's and more storage than the Arctic Cat. It also comes with the world reknown Fuji Heavy Industries engine, that is bulletproof! it is a great machine.
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...n/SportsmanX2/
There is the Cat TBX It lacks all the specs I mentioned above that the Polaris has, and comes with a suzuki engine and is also a great machine.
http://www.arcticcat.com/atvs/lineups/specs.asp?y=115&c=116&s=121&m=718
Actually the Arctic Cat TBX has more suspension travel. I have not seen the two side by side but the AC box stands out in my mind as being significantly larger. Anyone have any specs on that?

The Polaris weighs more - but more is better for utes IMO. more metal = stonger.

Quick Reply: Help me pick one....