Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

which is better for a female 05/rubicon/06vinson/outty400

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better for a female 05/rubicon/06vinson/outty400

my wife wants me to get a qaud for her and i can not make up my mind. we rode a outty 400 and loved it, but it seems like all the bomb dealers kind of suck. service is bad and parts takes forever. so i started to look at the rubicon and the vinson, but i dont know anything about them. we liked the bomb because it was very strong and comfy for a 400.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Personally, I would go with the OL. I have an '02 Rubicon, and I don't find it a really easy, or comfortable ride, especially for a female (like my wife). Also, from what I've read, the Visco-Lok 4wd has to be better than Honda's systemm

Old 02-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have to agree, go with the bom,you get what you pay for

Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

another vote for the outlander- its got good power, and has a comfortable ride (something very important to the ladies)

Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

And boy/girls like me! I would like a softer ride. Or, maybe I'm just getting older.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mh53
... it seems like all the bomb dealers kind of suck. service is bad and parts takes forever.....
That is exactly what my neighbor says and his brother owns the bomber dealership...LOL Does that say something?

Choosing the right utility quad is a difficult decision. Especally for someone else. For some (like me when I started) – we really don’t have the experience with ATV’s to know what we will use it for – we just want to get into riding one. For others there is a more defined use and expectation. Some want to trail ride with friends or join clubs and make new friends, some want to use it as family recreation or some want it for hunting. And some owners are into more technical or competitive riding in mud or up mountains where a specific use helps dictate specific features or functionality. Unfortunetly many buyers do not look at the full lineup of different manufacturers before they buy and later find themselves regretting not doing that.

For the most part all of the major ATV brands are pretty close in areas of dependability and reliability, ease of maintenance, parts availability, performance, top speed etc etc. Some brands stand out slightly more (or less) then others but there is no cast in stone rule that says your Honda will out last a Kawasaki – truth is, more has to do with how you drive and care for the machine.

Most important to the “right” machine is what you intend to use the machine for.

If you are like me then you would want to have the best all around most useful machine that you never regret purchasing…ever. A perfect ATV! I wish they made one but they don’t! To many variables!

The #1 variable is based on what you intend to use it for so that deserves the most thought and attention when making your final purchase decision.

There are so MANY uses - trail riding, hauling, mudding, swamping, mountain riding, transportation, recreation, riding together with friends, carrying a passenger, carrying loads of dirt, towing trailers, rock crawling.. I know one guy who’s specific and only use if his ATV is to ride it in Parades! His needs are way different as are the needs and options for all of these uses. But unless your really really lucky – you likely get to choose only one machine to meet all of your needs no matter how diverse they might be.

For us – I knew after the first ATV went over backwards with the wife and I on it – that we really needed a two rider ATV. Polaris, Bombardier and Arctic Cat make those. But since starting to deer hunt (which I NEVER thought I would do) my eyes have turned to a Arctic Cat TBX for its multi-function rack options and that rear box to carry my deer stand on. Not having any chance at getting that - I have taken full advantage of the MRP options using my Artic Cat TRV.

A look at my PICs here will expose the over indulgence in accessories for my TRV with both hunting and ice fishing and other equipment attached there to. Again – who’d of thought! When I bought my first ATV I never imagined my using one for ice fishing or hunting - Never. Now look at it. 1st Runner up for the Beverly Hillbilly’s truck. On a trail ride the wife has baskets full of STUFF I never thought we needed...lol

The point is – its all about Options and Flexibility and Specifications.

Not all ATV’s score high in all of these areas. I think Polaris has likely the 2nd best score in the O F S (Options and Flexibility and Specifications) area as they do have a few box choices, accessories and bag options and their specifications are pretty good – But first place has to go to Arctic Cat as their catalog of Speed Rack (MRP) options are 2nd to none and the flexibility to re-provision the machine for whatever mission is required is unmatched by any manufacturer. The Arctic Cats own the specifications area also with the best ground clearance, IRS and ruggedness over any other brand. In the 400 and 500 class of machines the Artic Cat is the value choice for two rider quads. Go out and price them. If your into arm pulling raw power the new 700 is outrageous in performance.

If you have kids - the two rider ATV's are the safest, most comfortable and usefull machines to carry them on.

Ok – so I’m a little biased about the Arctic Cats. After previously owning 3 Polaris and 1 Honda I will claim a little expertise and beg a little leeway... I did put a lot of work into considering the O.F.S. of each brand BEFORE I bought the AC's.

Whatever quad you choose – just be sure to give it a LOT of thought on how flexible each brand is going be and when something you never dreamed of doing turns out to be the true passion in your ATV riding.

If my wife wanted to go back to riding her own quad rather then riding two up - I'd own that 400 TBX and she would drive that during the non-hunting season. Yeah!

As for a wifes quad - I learned that specifications are VERY important. I think one that is as stable as I can get with a large wide and long footprint but without weighing 800 pounds is a consideration. But I would want my wife to be able to go where the rest of us went so things like ground clearance were a factor also.

OK - the facts

Bombardier - Polaris - Arctic Cat 400 machines
Width 46 - 48 - 47.5
Wheel Base 49 - 50 - 50
Weight 607 - 715 - 669
Ground Clearance 9.3 - 11 - 12

Old 02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I vote for the bomb 400 also.

Trending Topics

Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Well spoken, a very good analysis. From your pic's, you've had quite an interesting life!