Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility Quad Selection. I realy need some help here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility Quad Selection. I realy need some help here.

Hi all
I just joined and this is my first post. A little about my situation first then my choices so far.
Small note first though 99% of quads up here are Honda TRXfourtrax 350.
There are no garages for repairs and parts have to be ordered in. I do about 7,000 km a year on my atv which is presently the 350. I can go out for a week with two of us on the quad, going through tundra. That means mud, deep water rocks ravens, swamp, rocks, and lots of big obsacles. Very rough.
I've always had a honda with no problems, but have been attracted the last couple years to the Yamaha Grissly or Kodiac 450. They have bigger racks, independant suspension and look real nice, but are belt driven with also more parts because of the independant suspension.
I am realy attracted to these two models, but am worried about durability in the conditions that I will use it. If something happens to me out there no one will be able to help. This is extreme off-road with no trails. Lots of abuse and heavey loaded.
So my choices are the honda trxfourtrax 350-Fourman 500, Yamaha Grizzly or Kadiak.

Comments and experance please.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Grizzly is pretty good, but have you looked at Arctic Cat? The ground clearance in unmatched, and they have a two person quad, diff lock, irs, ifs, speedrack options, and are very reliable quads! I am also bias. lol If you like the obsticals, like rocks and logs, most people will say AC is a better articulating quad.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha is good, as suzuki, kawasaki, polaris, arctic cat, bomb, etc. However, honda is undeniably the best in the reliabile category. Especially the Foreman. Only thing is they are way behind in the technology that would help you with your style of riding. IRS being the biggest thing, however, if your current honda does the trick then a foreman 500 certainly would. The rincon has IRS like the grizz and kodiak, but it doesn't have the low range and diff lock which you currently don't have. If reliability is your first and most important requirement in a new atv, then I'd suggest you stick with the Honda. Look at the foreman 500, rubicon 500, and rincon 680. Drive them all, and compare each ones benefits.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I was in an area like you when I moved to Alaska. No roads, no repair shops, and lots of tundra, trees, and mountains. I bought an Arctic Cat 400 to have up there. They are big and have a ton of rack space. Very reliable, and a great work horse. I had to haul my moose 2 miles with it. Check out my picts. So, my opinion is that you should get an Arctic Cat 500 (available in 5 speed or auto) or an Arctic Cat 650 H1 (auto only). I sure love mine. Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]