Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How about a Sport/Ute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How about a Sport/Ute?

ForemanDan, you are so right, what was I thinking? Scamutz, just buy a Rincon, as it is far superior to every other ute out there. It is the only quad with any merit, including Baja wins. Everyone knows Honda engineering is without flaw or equal. Now pardon me while I go sit on the TRX90 and make revving sounds. Mommy took away the keys so I can't start it up. BTW, it will also spin the tires when hooked to a tree, I tried it last summer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scooter, now how are comments like that going to help this guy make an informed decision? I don't know foremandan and have no idea who he is is but he never stated what you are claiming.

Two of your quotes:
"don't know about that. He is looking for something that leans more towards the sporty, agile side. I don't necessarily think AC products fit that bill."

"The Rincon is a great quad that could be truely outstanding if it had a low range and a locker. Will it pull downed trees around and such? I doubt the issue would be power but more a lack of gearing. Still it might be worth a look, but I didn't mention it originally for the reasons JDQuadrider gave."

You can't have it both ways! The Rincon is one of the best utilities out there for sporty trail riding on a 600lb ute. Neither I or ForemanDan said that it is def what he should buy. We are SIMPLY saying that IF that is his priority then that should be a contender. Seems like you have a major problem with foremandan stating why the Rincon is a good quad based on his opinion and in a professional manner....is he not entitled to that?

Old 10-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

stocks, I never asked for it both ways. The first quote is in reference to ARCTIC CAT products, not the Rincon. I like AC products, but you are going to have a hard time selling me on the fact they are "sporty" or "agile." v2rider seems to agree, maybe he just didn't read the original post carefully. The second quote is my opinion on the Rincon. Sorry if you don't like it. Plenty of car style automatics 4x4s still have a low range transfer case for more serious rock crawling, mudding, and work. I have owned two trucks and a Jeep equipped thusly. Shame on Honda for not including this, since it would get used a lot more on a quad than your average 4x4 truck. I have pulled logs before with tractors and a few smaller ones with atvs even. I think low range is a viable tool here, regardless of tranny type. Chances are scamutz is talking about the occasional blow down and not any type of actual logging/harvesting, so the Rincon may be fine there. I don't know, he didn't specify so I didn't mention the Rincon. I get a kick out of you Rincon guys though, as you are so touchy. I have mentioned several times on this thread the Rincon is a very good/great quad, but that aint good enough for you all. Oh, and you could tie my old self propelled pushmower to a tree and it will spin the wheels, but that doesn't mean it is going to budge a downed log.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: SlyCulprit
Originally posted by: kickass210
just don't buy a quad with out shifting gears. those are for girls, and acountants!
try to find a big bore ute that isn't an automatic
How come all the snowmobiles aren't manuals if its so superior?

Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

I, personally, don't like the Rincon for the reasons I mentioned in a post above. It's a very one-dimensional quad. Granted, the suspension is probably the best out of all the Sport/Ute quads. But then Honda doesn't call the Rincon a Utility quad. It's a "Recreational" quad. If recreation is your exclusive reason for buying, it is a very valid choice.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

It looks to me that Yamaha riders are the touchy ones. I didn't say anything negative about any brand, I only spoke up because of the way the the Rincon was being presented. I never said it is perfect, but what you consider to be a flaw is not. I also never said buy it because it is the best. Everyone here was giving there opinion but you didn't want to hear one about the Rincon.
Since you didn't like my example, what would be your measurement to determine if a quad is geared low enough? What would the final drive ratio need to be?

Everyone told me that the 600 Sportsman that we have would out-pull my 450 foreman. We hooked them up back to back and neither one could move the other. They would just sit there and spin the tires. That was 4wd vs. so-called 3wd.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low range. Oh my god here we go again. I really don't think its a viable argument. You claim that a Rincon won't pull anything. You should watch me move my boat around my yard. Its easier to get it back there with the Rinny. Oh it weighs over 3500lbs. First gear will pull it. I don't recommend doing this with any quad but it will do it with oh my god no low gear. I've climbed mine up just as steep a hill as the Can Am I ride with and didn't need to be pull up it. They will pull just fine even in stock form. But they are not Hondas work quad. They are a trail quad. You said Florida, you won't need engine braking there. I love mine for not having it. I like to be able to let off the gas and let go of the handle bars to stretch. Without being pushed forward. They coast just like your car. Power? The others do have more power but they will wheelie and are very sporty riding quads. Are they the best? Thats a matter of opinion. And well we all now about opinions.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

So is there such thing as Carsdirect for Autobytel for ATV's? After a couple of test rides today, I think that I'm sold on the BF 650i, but the dealer won't move off of MSRP. Is this pretty standard, or will shopping around get me a better price?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitly go shop around. Get your dealers best out the door price, then go find another dealer. It'll boil down to whoever wants to sell one worse. But yes that pretty common for them to stick with the MSRP.
But anyway welcome back to the world of atv's. That Brute will really open your eye's the first time you nail it.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Sorry for jacking your thread there bro. The fact of it is I like the Rincon, but some people are a bit sensitive around here. And I don't even feel I slammed the atv! Anyway, it never hurts to shop around. A good dealer that can back the quad up in service and support is worth paying a little more for. How to figure out which dealer that is can be difficult though. Chances are if you can get a cheaper quote from a place even a few hours drive away, your local guy may match it. I don't remember hearing of any major changes on the '07 650i, but you may still be able to get a closeout '06 anyway.

Quick Reply: How about a Sport/Ute?