Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New vs Used: different direction maybe (Quad thoughts cont'd)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vs Used: different direction maybe (Quad thoughts cont'd)

What about finding a used YFZ450? Are there any model year that I should stay away from?

I am curious to see if it would be more cost effective to find a used (not too badly abused) and upgrade shocks and engine with aftermarket parts. I have never bought a new quad, car, etc...Benefits or disadvantages of a new vs used for this type of machine?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you can definately find a gently used one for a decent price. I see them every once in a while, people buy them and don't realize just how much of an edge they have. These quads really beg to be ridden hard, and that just isn't fun for some. The '04 model year did have a few small problems, there is a rubber decompression plug that could blow out and let all the oil out as well. This can be replaced with a $20.00 billet unit and solves the problem. '05 and later had this resolved. Also the '04 needs to have the lights on to properly charge the battery, or needs a resistor kit installed if you remove the lights. To be honest, my brother has an '04 and runs no lights, no kit with no problems. Then again, he runs the heck out of that bike, and they were designed to charge at higher RPM. '05 was supposed to be fixed, but there are some reports of bad ones. I have an '05 and it has always been fine. The earliest runs of YFZ's had leaky impeller seals, I would expect this would have been fixed by now. So far I have found the upper a-arm bushings will wear prematurely unless you keep them full of grease(yay zerk fittings!) and the starter button gets gunked up and works poorly after a bunch of mud riding. Air filter maintenance and oil changes are CRUCIAL to long engine life on any of the 450's, as well as keeping the valves adjusted. Investigate those things as much as possible before deciding to buy. The disadvantage is that these aren't like a car that can tolerate some lack of maintenance. Buying one that has been abused could be a long term nightmare...

Old 12-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never buy used! I am into rigorous maintenance, and I never know what the previous owner did or didn't do. The money I would save isn't worth it to me.........

Old 12-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

You can probably find a nice used one but it might take a while. I picked up an 04 that was basically like brand new with low low hours and updates to the problems that Scooter mentioned. Another guy I know picked up an 04 that was brand new, it had 1.5 hours on it. Both of us saved thousands of dollars over buying new.

However you have to know what to look for and also be able to judge the character of the person you are buying from. If you can't do both of these things then it might be a good idea to just buy new. At least then you know what you are getting.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dumb question of the morning.. (it's a little early)

How can you tell how much time is on a particular unit? When I had my Banshee I installed a hourmeter (airplane hobbs meter) to keep up with sch'd maint...

I like the idea of buying used but when I bought a 2-strk before I usually went into the buy knowing that the top end and bottom end might need work. For reference how much does the dealer charge to do a valve adjustment? I plan on doing it myself but that is usually a good indication of how much time is involved.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

There is no way to really tell unless someone has an hour meter and even that can be monkied with.

You will have to take the owner's word for an actual number. Add about 20% to whatever number they give you.
You also will want to look at wear and tear on the unit as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about hours on a YFZ unless they are really high. Guys are getting 400 hours out of top ends on these motors with just valve adjustments and oil changes. They are proving to be very reliable. If it's got 50 hours or less on it you should be able to get plenty of time out of it.

A valve adjustment will run you about $150. There are instructiosn online and if you are comfortable with doing it this is the way to go.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Trailblazer

ive bought only new but the few times i went to a dealer to look around and buy oil and stuff they wanted way to much for the used stuff. id rather pay a $1,000 more for a new one than get someones used crap. but this is dealer prices not from a private party.