Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First ride - advice on boots for teens

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride - advice on boots for teens

I'd suggest Thor Quadrants if you're on a budget. $130 for adult sizes and $90 for kids sizes.

Boots are essential! I've got a big foot (size 13) and before I had nerfs on my YFZ my foot slipped off and smacked the ground. Without boots I would have probably broken a few bones.

If you have a kick starter you need boots. Ever get a lace caught on a kick start lever?? I have, it's not fun.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

after the helmit, i along with alot of other ppl will say that good riding boots are the best safety equipment you can put on. i drive a big ute so i don't wear them on atv but do wear them on my dirtbike and they will get used to them. even though the stiffer ones are harder to get used to i would rather have them for support then the more soft comfy ones. the stiff ones will loosen up after a while and still be ok and the softer ones might loosen up to much and not offer as much support. just my .02 cents.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Great call on going with the boots. Our kids are 7, 10, 12, 15, and 16. We have every size boot from 2 to 13 except 7 (those are next) and 12. We just keep on passing them down the line [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] and when the littlest one outgrows it, we have friends to pass on to. We did adjust the shifter position on all the quads with them.

The other safety gear that our kids ALWAYS wear is chest protector, goggles, and gloves. We also bit the bullet and put nerfs on their quads. It was spendy but worth it. We have had spills and chills, but only one broken arm in the last 5 years.

Be safe and have fun!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: carlw
you dont need motocross boots those things are stupid. just get some hiking boots. get some at wallmart they can tear up.

Exactly.

I'm 15, been riding since I was 12. I have always just used hiking boots. No problem.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well, thanks for all the replies. I do however disagree with those that do not wear full boots. I do respect your choice but I believe that too much protection is best when it comes to any offroad sport.

We took our first ride and had very little proble adjusting to the boots. Made some shift lever adjustmenst and had a great day.

I can see a need for boots at any level of trail riding. You never know whats going to happen. The only two bad injuries I've experienced from MX and ATV riding is a broken knee (boots wouldn't have helped) and a ripped raw calf from being grinded by a rear tire. I was not weraing boots in the ATV accident.

I plan on teaching my kids that safety comes first, then comfort. I can't imagine what would happen when a foot gets sucked underneath a rear tire going 30 miles an hour.

You may have ridden three years without an accident but your chances of walking away from the one that will occur in your future are much better with proper protective gear.

To each is own.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

Mine go well past my ankle. They are not normal hiking boots, they have a longer ankle. However, I do also think that MX boots ( or whatever you are referring to as safer ) are really not that much safer. And even if they aren't, we are talking your foot/lower leg, what about the rest of you? lol.

But it isn't a big deal, I don't want to start some huge topic war over boots LOL. Don't take it offensively. Good luck with your choice.