Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking For a Utility Quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For a Utility Quad

Hello,

Just joined and need advice. I have previously owned two Polaris ATV's. A 1999 Explorer 400 and 2000 Sportsman 500. Loved them both and both were very reliable for the 2 years I owned them. I am now in the market again and can't seem to make a decision. I am after more utility than sport. Ripping thru the trails at break neck speed is not my bag. I am looking to go everywhere and at a slow pace. I am more of a rock crawler than desert racer. I will use the bike for deer/elk hunting and general trail riding - all season use in Colorado. I am pretty sure I want EFI as I hear it is the ticket especially at altitude. So far I am looking at Sportsman 500's, Arctic Cat 500 and 700, and King Quad 700. I certainly want auto trans.

Right now I am AC first, Polaris 2nd, and the Suzuki 3rd. AC is coming up first because it seems to be more suited for slower pace and strong utility. Also love the function of the racks and available accessories. I have found a few new 07 500's for $5k and that price impresses me. My only drawback to the AC 500 is the carburated engine. I have found a few new 07 700's EFI for $6k and really like it.

I am having a heck of a time getting close to a "deal" on the Sporsmans. They seem to be priced as if they are gold. I loved the one I had, but think I want to try a different brand. Best price on an 07 EFI 500 has been $5900.

Then to throw another wrench into my search is a slighty used 06 King Quad 700 located right here in Colorado Springs. It looks near brand-new and only 450 miles. Comes with Warn winch already installed. Price is at $5600. So how good is the Suzuki? It seems more sport than utility from the reviews I have read.

So which is the Utility bike for me? Will the AC's ride as smooth as the Polaris? The one thing I loved about the Sportsman I owned was the incredible ride. Will the Suzuki compare to the Polaris in ride quality? Would I really regret buying an AC 500 and not having EFI? I am leaning towards the AC, so someone push me over to the AC. Oh, and the AC's I have found are located in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I will gladly travel 1000 miles or so if needed for a good deal. Please give me you Pro's and Con's of these bikes. I have been reading review after review and still can't make the decision.

Thanks for your time,
Brent

Old 11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

If speed isn't your thing, I'd strongly consider a 500cc or less machine. The only thing that a big-bore will get you is less mpg and a higher price tag if you really don't need the extra power. Check out the KQ 450. Same as the 700, with less motor. The load capacities and tow-rating are basically the same on the big and small machines. My Eiger is only a 376cc and it'll drag 600lb. logs through the woods all day without a hiccup, and still tops out at around 55mph. If I were going to be riding aggressive trails at or above 60mph, then I would have gotten a larger machine, but I just don't need it. Just my $0.02

Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

what do you do with your ute? type of trails or chores, terrain, agressiveness, mud?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really want to get the biggest CC quad I can afford and the AC 700 could be had in my price range. The trails I will ride will be mountain trails - some dedicated ATV trails, some open to all 4x4 vehicles, and my yearly hunting trip which is more of the same. We hunt at about 9500 feet so snow and lots of it is usually in order. I have no chores, unfortunately I live in the city, not the country. I could see getting a plow also as shoveling what snow we get is a pain at times. Last winter was brutal. Who knows what this winter holds. I am just wanting to get back out on the trails. I am not looking at racing anyone on these trails. I guess I am really after lots of low end grunt. I am looking to take it everywhere, just won't be in a hurry to get there. Also will use it to access the numerous mountain lakes in CO to do some fishing. I think that about sums up my intended use.

If I opted for a AC 500, how would it compare to the 700. Would I be kicking myself for not going bigger and going with the EFI?

Thanks Again,
Brent

Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

As for the question will they ride as good as the sportsman?.......NO! Although I love my sportsman if I had to choose a 500 sportsman or a 700 AC for the same price I'd go with the AC. I know a lot of people that own AC's really seem to like them. My dad has a 99 500 sportsman and I'm telling you there is a huge difference in power between that and the my 700. Look around and you can find a used 800 sportsman for under 6k and the 700 efi sportsmans are real good deals because everybody wants the bigger one and you can find some screamin deals on the 700's that people are having a hard time selling. Again though I don't think you can go wrong with the AC either and you are right about the KQ, if you want a ute more designed to "get the job done" then the KQ isn't up the the Polaris or AC. Hope that helps.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I am having a heck of a time getting close to a "deal" on the Sporsmans. They seem to be priced as if they are gold. I loved the one I had, but think I want to try a different brand. Best price on an 07 EFI 500 has been $5900. </end quote></div>

Your 2000 was the last non H.O SP 500. It still had the small 34mm carb and the low duration Cam. The H.O has 20% more power with a 40mm carb or EFI and the Scambler's hotter high duration Cam.
The newer SP500 has longer front suspension travel now 8.2" vs 6.7. Even though its the same ATV you will not feel you bough your same ATV all over again.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go ahead and get the AC. Its a good slow technical machine, that you can attatch a weeks worth of camping gear to and spend some time in the back 40.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally went and did it, bought a new ATV. After a whole bunch of research and a lot of shopping I decided on a 2008 Grizzly 700, non-EPS. I have never had power steering on an ATV, so figured I wouldn't miss it. I was really leaning towards AC, but just heard too much negative about their handling. I bought the Grizzly in MN as I traveled there for a funeral. I ended up saving about $900 compared to the lowest price I found in CO. I just really couldn't find anything negative about the Grizzly in my research. Right now I have one mile on the odometer - a quick test ride at the Dealer and some screwing around on it when I unloaded it once I got home. I will let you know how the first ride goes. I hope to get out this weekend provided we don't get too much snow.

Brent

Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Congrats on the new Griz. I'm sure you will love it. I'm guessing you compromised a little on the original $5k target price range. Don't worry, we all did. EPS? I'm sure it's great but if you've never had it you'll never miss it.