Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I need some help on next ATV purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help on next ATV purchase

ok, please, any help would be appreciated.

I am looking to buy a new sport atv. I started with a KFX 400 and really liked it. I later sold it to my ex girlfriend's dad and then I bought an '06 Raptor 700R 50th anniversary. I love this one but I am looking to step down in power now but I don't want a great loss. I am only 5'6" or 5'7" and about 155 pounds. I find that the raptor is kind of big for me and it takes more for me to manuver it than it does for somebody heavier and taller. I decided I am going to sell it to one of my friends. I'd like to buy a 450. I do not know much about the 450's but here's what I want. I want something that won't seem like a huge step down. I want a lot of low end but I also want something that pulls hard almost all the way. I got spoiled with the fuel injection, but I guess I don't really need it. Also, it seems that the few fuel injected atvs or so expensive. I like to jump but I won't be doing any extreme jumping, and I ride mostly trails. Hope somebody can help me. Thankyou

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just from the advice i've received from this board if you are going to ride trails buy a 400ex. The 450's will do great but are better rev'ing out on the sand. Also the suzuki z400 doesn't like to be at low rev's as much as the honda 400ex.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Raptor is a torque monster, but I don't like the ergonomics much, and I find it tall and a little tippy (weight is up high in the frame)....so I don't blame you.

All the 450's are great machines! They are 50 pounds lighter than the Raptor, and have a way lighter feel.

I ride the Honda for open desert, but it would be great on faster more open trails as well with some gearing changes. I have the HRC kit, and it will literally rip the bars out of your hands if your aren't careful!

There are a bunch of Yamahas in the group I ride with. I like it for play riding and MX.

One KFX in the group, and I have ridden it quite a bit. It seems to be a little more able to lug than the others, and that might be better for trails. FI as well.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree....400EX for tight, slower, semi-technical trails!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, it seems so far, you're on par with my feelings. You're right about the raptor. Torque monster, which is very fun, but yeah you get my drift. So, I can't go wrong in the 450 department, which is what I was hoping. The trails I normally ride are tight, but I run into places also where there's small tracks with open space to fly around. I appreciate anyone who is replying to me also. I just don't want to go back to a 400. I know I'd end up modifying a 400 so much anyway, I guess I'd almost be better off to pay for a 450. I'm almost 21 and have hardly any bills because thankfully my parents and I have good relationships so I guess if I'm going to pay for one, I might as well do it while I still can. So,in my situation, I guess I'm narrowed down to either a honda 450 or the KFX 450. I'm kind of up in the air between the two. fuel injection in my opinion is nice and I have seen a lot of situations where my reverse on my raptor came handy as I always see my two buddies have to get off their 400ex's and push them and a lot of the times it's a struggle because it's tight and they end up having to push uphill a lot of the times or even pick the front end up to move away from a tree lol. SO (sorry for all the text) how do you feel about the kfx as far as reliability? I know that hondas seem to last forever.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

have you looked at the outlaw's this info is certified by Environ Laboratories LLC. the polaris 525 and 450 is the fastest accelerating sport quad.the 450mxr and 525s has the greatest power to weight ratio. the525irs and raptor 700 weighs 436Lbs ready to ride with 2gal of gas. the 525s weighs 402lbs. the 450mxr pulls the trx450,yfz450kfx450and the ltr450 in 1/8 mile holeshot test by several bike lenghts. this with stock bike with out being piped and jetted.i know is said the dreaded polaris word but they do have the a nice sport quad.with that said they do need to make it look alittle better.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah I have heard that the ktm quads are insane. I know what you mean about polaris. polaris scares me every time I think about it though. You're saying that the polaris 525 and 450 are reliable as well?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

the polaris outlaw's have ktm motors and trans.the only thing i hear bad about them they run on the lean side from the factory.word is they respond very well with jetting