Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Question for all of you...do you own land or are you citydwellers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for all of you...do you own land or are you citydwellers

I am getting ready to pull the trig on my first ATV and wanted to know how many of you have to "go" somewhere to ride it. I have lots of good trails within about an hour (northern WI) but all the riding I have done has been at my friends farmette (15 acres with access to a few trails). I will make it a point to ride, of that I am sure, but I am curious to know how many of you are "way into the sport" yet have to "trailer up" to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey mods, if this belongs in a different forum, please relocate.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine riding on just 15 acres unless it's set up as a track and you are practicing racing/jumping a sport quad.

I don't have enough land to really ride on, just 1-1/2 acres. When the kids were smaller I made trails in a little 1/2 acre of woods - got a fair amount of trails in that small space. But, for real riding we trailer somewhere, ususlly about 45 minutes to an hour but this gives us access to over 400,000 acres af great riding. We like to trail ride and explore new trails - really get over doing the same trails over and over again. I've even traveled from Tennessee to your area (central and northern Wisconsin) just to ride. Been to Darlington in the south (not so good), BRF in the middle (nice family trails) and Ashland area (really nice).

Jaybee

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a picture of where I ride to from our house. I live about five miles away, at the foothill of this mountain, and can ride here without loading the ATV on a trailer to get here. This is BLM land, and is considered an open area for riding.

The only problem with this riding area is that right now the snow depth in that spot is 96" deep, on the flat. Drifted snow is likely 15 feet deep in places. So we still trailer the quads and bikes south 60 miles for winter riding, where the elevation is 8000 feet less, and the temperature is 50 degrees higher. I don't think most people would own an ATV without also planning on trailering it to riding areas.

DV

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

I live in the city in SOCAL and load my toy hauler up and drive a couple hours to ride... I ride in the dunes or on other trails at other places...I did the same when it was just myself and my truck just slept in a tent then lol... I love riding but I love seeing this great country of ours so I like going to other places to ride....

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Man, wish I lived in the SW where there is such diversity of trails. I did live for a time in NM and loved it. Also toured the areas in northern AZ and that was amazing also. We just moved to WI from NY state. In NY there were limited areas to ride, mostly way in the north (about 2-3 hours away). I'm really stoked cause there is some riding 45 min away and a lot of good riding within 1.5 hrs. I can also putt around here pushing snow and such.

I'm really leaning toward the Polaris 500 EFI Touring model cause I would like to ride 2up sometimes (bring the wife along). I am wondering how much of a performance difference there is between the 2up touring and the 1up standard. I would think the longer wheel base might help sometime, but its also heavier.

Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

just like yvettes i live in san diego cali and have to drive 2-3 hours to get to a good riding spot (aka glamis or octillo wells)

Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have access to 350 acres of private land near my house, but I do risk a ticket riding a few blocks on the street to get there, so I only ride back there when I am desperate.

In 45 minutes I can be riding woods trails in the local mountains. In 1 hour I can be riding the high desert. In 2 hours I can be riding the low desert or dunes. In 4 hours I can be riding on the beach. In 3-5 hours I can be riding at over 11,000 feet in the Sierras....so yes, if I didn't trailer my quad....I would be missing all that!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I live on 5 acres. With 280 acres of woods and fields right next door, literally. I have all the land I need. I travel down to Durhamtown a few times a year, just to get away.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

I used to be able to access 2000+ acres of trails without loading up. Too much residential development over the years to do that anymore [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Question for all of you...do you own land or are you citydwellers