Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Anyone Regret buying a Honda Rancher?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Regret buying a Honda Rancher?

I've been reading everything I can find to in order to make a good first ATV purchase and hopefully avoid paying "dumb tax" wishing I'd spent a little more for something else. It seems the Rancher gets good reviews here and the other places I've researched. I think it will do the things I want it to do too. I'm not sure what the price is locally but it looks like it'll be right around five grand plus accessories.

It will be used for whatever chores I can think to use it for around our property. Mostly shuttling materials, fire wood and tools to areas I can't drive my truck into. I'll use it on trails when the opportunity arises but I suspect that'll be <40% of the time.

That being said, did anyone wish they spent a little more?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two 350's and a 420. I still have one of the 350's, and it is going on 10 years old, with absolutely not one single little problem of any kind!!! The 420 is a year old now, and appears to be just as solid as the older Ranchers.

I like the Rancher package. It is big enough, but yet isn't an overly heavy hulking monster that is loaded with dubious "features" that just drive up the price. That said, I only do light work with it, and living in the arid southwest I don't have to wallow in the mud to be able to go riding. If I needed to do heavier work, I might go with the Foreman 500, but it wouldn't be as much fun out on the trail.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a 06 400 rancher i think its 400 but anyway i love it! I dont have any complaints its fun and has the right amount of power for a fun first atv, that is what u are going to do with it, racing and going fast, no but a fun trail and work horse i would recommend it

Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.

I"m looking around for one now. I'm leaning toward buying new but my first visit to a Honda dealership wasn't everything I hoped. I didn't realize it would be like buying a new car -- wheeling and dealing... felt slimy. I'm going to shop around some, compare prices and find a dealer that feels more trustworthy.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: justsayMo

Thanks guys.

I"m looking around for one now. I'm leaning toward buying new but my first visit to a Honda dealership wasn't everything I hoped. I didn't realize it would be like buying a new car -- wheeling and dealing... felt slimy. I'm going to shop around some, compare prices and find a dealer that feels more trustworthy.</end quote></div>

That's the way to do it man, shop around and be patient. A big problem with people looking to buy, is they get ancious and buy the first one they see, then go down the road and see one for a lot less.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone always buys a honda for their first quad. They are great for realibility and normal trail riding. I'd definatly get something differnet if I was going to use it for serious mudding or offroading, which I do. I have an outlander 400max xt. I ride with honda guys all the time and I always have to lead so I can pull them threw the mud holes haahha

Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Honda 4x4 ATVs are the most over priced and under equipped ATVs on he planet--bar none.

Most first time buyers usually buy a Honda for the first time because of Honda's reputation for reliability. Than after riding with their buddies who own bigger ATVs with more features and more ground clearance, they wished they'd done a little more research before making their decision.

Honda still dont make a 4x4 with a locking front Differential.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

What would brand/model is a better value?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
back in 2002-2003 I worked in sales at a local Honda dealership. And in Sept of 2002, I bought a new 2003 Rincon. I drove it for two years and replaced it with a 2005 Suzuki 700cc EFI King Quad. The Rincon MSRP was 7599.. It had outdated and leaky front drum style brakes, no pre-load adjustment for the shocks, no low gear, very poor down hill engine braking, poor ground clearnace, no EFI,no front diff locker--------but it was a HONDA

After buyting the KQ, there was NOTHING I missed about my Honda except for maybe the extra cushy ride. And the MSRP on the KQ was 7199.It had all the goodies like EFI, Front Diff locker, adjustable shocks, 12 inches of ground clearance, excellant downhill engine braking, and a very nice low range.

TODAY?
I'd concider any of the brands EXCEPT Honda. MANY manufactures are now adding 2-3 years to their 6 month warranty. Be SURE you have a REPUTABLE dealer that works FOR YOU,instead of against you. If you have the extra money---buy one with EFI,you'll be very glad you did.

I currently own a Can-Am Max [2 seater] because my wife wanted to start riding with me instead of riding her own ATV. If not, I'd still be riding the KQ.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Muddy. I'm open to other brands. My priorities are reliability and utility. Chores around the ranch mainly, fun occasionally too.

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret buying a Honda Rancher?